Carrying Legally

Discussion in 'Mississippi Concealed Carry' started by Phaetos, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Phaetos

Phaetos Distinguished Poster

As we are constitutional carry and can do so concealed or open, until I can get my enhanced license, where would I be limited to other than governmental buildings and schools? I saw in the statute that businesses can post a sign, but I can’t remember seeing one around here yet.

Mesquite and Jarhead5811 like this.
  2. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Try most medical facilities, theaters, malls just to start.

3. Phaetos

Thankfully I never go to the hospital or the theater and barely go to the mall.

4. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Well then shop on and carry on.............

94LEVERFAN, Mesquite and Jarhead5811 like this.
  5. senilking

senilking Distinguished Poster

Pontotoc
    Lol, depends on how you want to read the law.
    I think the general idea of most the legislature, judges, law enforcement, and many MS citizens would say to read where regular permit holders can not carry and follow that.

Of course, then there's the Mississippi Constitution which makes it sound like the state can't restrict open carry, but it probably takes a lawyer and judge to determine how you should read it.
    Article 3, Section 12
    Absolutely though, if you are on someone's private property and they ask you to leave, then leave. If an officer asks you to leave somewhere, even if you can without a doubt carry there, then leave. It's a lot cheaper to fight a law than a felony afterwards, and your chances of convincing someone to leave you alone are slim.

#notalawyer

Quickeye, Mesquite, BasMstr and 2 others like this.
  6. senilking

Pontotoc
    Also, check out the link in this thread. It is an excellent place to read all the applicable laws, see a single lawyer's opinion, and make your own decisions.

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  7. Phaetos

Absolutely. If asked to leave, no problem. I’ll leave and not go back there if possible. Never argue with LEO’s, that’s a given for law abiding citizenry. I wasn’t condoning arguing state and constitutional law.

8. senilking

Pontotoc
    Lol, yeah, I didn't think you were, but that was my disclaimer so someone rambling through and reading it didn't think I was.
    Restricting yourself to the same places as regular permit holders are is the safe bet. A table is provided on that link starting on page 6 if you need them, but it sounds like you've already done some research and probably looked at the law too.

Blondie70 and Jarhead5811 like this.
  9. ThatGuy

ThatGuy I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.

If it's properly concealed who will know? If you don't go through a pat down or a metal detector.
    Not condoning or condemning anything just asking.

10. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

I feel ya.

I kinda figure out of sight is out of mind and if I ever draw my weapon it would already be a life and death situation.

94LEVERFAN, Mesquite and ThatGuy like this.
  11. Cutter

Cutter Active Member

I just talked to the Highway Patrol and told them I have Louisiana CCW. They told me that now that I live in Mississippi, my CCW is no longer valid and the Sheriff told me that I can not Conceal Carry until I obtain a CCW for Mississippi. When I mentioned constitutional carry, he told me that means open carry. You need a permit to carry concealed and my LA CCW is not transferable.

12. The sheriff needs to read this:

Summary of Mississippi Gun Laws - Midsouthgunlawyer.com

Henry Bowman, para40, maxhush and 4 others like this.
  13. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

That Sheriff is wrong. Maybe intentionally wrong. Some of LE in MS either haven't gotten the word, or they are writing their own laws in their own little fiefdom. See this: § 45-9-101. License to Carry Concealed Pistol or Revolver | Mississippi Department of Public Safety

SLBcmtr, para40, maxhush and 3 others like this.
  14. gutdoc

gutdoc Distinguished Poster

(19) Any person holding a valid unrevoked and unexpired license to carry stun guns, concealed pistols or revolvers issued in another state shall have such license recognized by this state to carry stun guns, concealed pistols or revolvers. The Department of Public Safety is authorized to enter into a reciprocal agreement with another state if that state requires a written agreement in order to recognize licenses to carry stun guns, concealed pistols or revolvers issued by this state.

15. GunnyGene

16. That's the latest version that I can find. Do you know if it was updated?

17. GunnyGene

I can't tell from reading it since the page is not dated. However
    Miss. Code Ann. § 45-9-101 was updated to conform to HB-786: Here's the link to the official Code as published on Lexis-Nexis by MS Dept of State. See (24) for relevant statute language:

https://advance.lexis.com/documentpage/?pdmfid=1000516&crid=fb64c6f6-0f8e-4a6c-bb3b-85ec8f5408d9&nodeid=AAXAAIAAEAAB&nodepath=/ROOT/AAX/AAXAAI/AAXAAIAAE/AAXAAIAAEAAB&title=§+45-9-101.+License+to+carry+stun+gun,+concealed+pistol+or+revolver;+license+fees;+exemptions;+no+license+required+to+carry+pistol+or+revolver+in+purse,+briefcase,+fully+enclosed+case,+etc.&config=00JABhZDIzMTViZS04NjcxLTQ1MDItOTllOS03MDg0ZTQxYzU4ZTQKAFBvZENhdGFsb2f8inKxYiqNVSihJeNKRlUp&pddocfullpath=/shared/document/statutes-legislation/urn:contentItem:5PCF-DT80-0035-R0PJ-00008-00&ecomp=g37_kkk&prid=09f1f71b-9d1e-4cba-a0b3-30083ab1d840

PS: If you go to the MS Sec. of State page, you can find a link to the Lexis-Nexis official repository of the entire MS Code of 1972, which is updated regularly by SecState office. This is the only official source, and the only one I trust.

How Do I...?

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Quickeye and LeansVeryRight2016 like this.
  18. ThatGuy

ThatGuy I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.

You know "the law" doesn't know the law man.

19. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter