Carrying Legally

Discussion in 'Mississippi Concealed Carry' started by Phaetos, Feb 26, 2018.

1. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

No. It's just a waste of your time. They aren't lawyers, and don't give legal advice usually since it can get them in trouble, and it ain't their job.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Mesquite and Jarhead5811 like this.
  2. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

If they are over the CCW's then they should answer all pertain questions and know what the heck they are talking about. Sad how agencies act now days.

Jarhead5811 likes this.

3. GunnyGene

I think you might not understand what HB786 did in regards to carry. It effectively removed the jurisdiction and authority of the Dept. of Public Safety to control concealed carry without a permit. DPS retains jurisdiction and process for issuing permits if you walk in and apply for one voluntarily, and it is Shall Issue. But other than restrictions placed on where and how you carry per current law they have no say in the matter of permitless carry, and therefore are not involved. They don't write the rules, they just enforce them as defined in law. Period. That simple fact irritates the hell out of them, but there's not a damn thing they can do about it as long as the carrier abides by the LAW as written, not as interpreted by DPS.

That said, you sometimes (unfortunately) have to prove it to them in court.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Cliff731, Jarhead5811 and bucmeister like this.
  4. bucmeister

bucmeister Distinguished Poster

SW-MS
    As it pertains to reciprocity I wonder if it matters that your state of residence has changed. Since you are no longer a resident of Louisiana and it sounds like you have/had a resident CCW vs a Non-Resident CCW (which I don't even know if LA issues Non-Resident CCW licenses) maybe that is the difference.

Seems some states grant reciprocity to both resident and non-resident CCW licenses from other states while others only grant reciprocity to resident CCW licenses.

rigrat likes this.
  5. bucmeister

SW-MS
    Believe many LEO's these days, and likely always have, interpret and apply their desired version of the law (the way they wish it was) in these grey areas that allow for interpretation. IF (big if) they and their supervisors right to the top person were all held sufficiently accountable for misapplying the law they might start caring enough to make sure they get it right. When they are wrong and a citizen gets the charges dismissed there is usually no harm/no foul/no consequences to the officers that stomped on someones rights. I respect the LEO community but there are to many times they get things wrong. While we commoners live under the "ignorance of the law is no excuse" mantra they seem live under the "it don't matter if you get it wrong because nothing bad will happen" mantra.

ThatGuy likes this.
  6. bucmeister

SW-MS
    Spot on. You said it better than I. That is why there should be at least financial consequences when it pertains to laws they should know, hold them and their department responsible. In my profession we have to get Continuing Education (at our own expense on our own time) to keep our licenses in effect, so I have zero pity when told about the time and money it takes for them to stay abreast of the applicable laws. Weapon carry is most assuredly "applicable" law in this day and time.

7. Cutter

Cutter Active Member

I feel like I stirred up a hornet nest with my questions. I went to Brookhaven to get a application and was informed I had to wait 12 months. I showed them a web print out from their own site saying a person who has a valid concealed permit from another state, the waiting period could be waived and a permit could be issued. Well I know I don't need to tell you all how that went. I was asked to leave their office. What bothered me besides being told to leave, the officer kept his hand resting on his gun. As a Vietnam Vet I wasn't frighten by his action, I was pissed. I know I sound like a bad as., just the opposite I very polite and friendly. What is their problem? I tried to do it the right way and that got me nowhere.

8. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

File a formal complaint to his superior. Sorry I would wait a week or two and go back and ask if they had verified what you told them. Tell the asshole you are going to take it to the local news station also if he wants to be a ignorant anus.

9. GunnyGene

Power is like alcohol. Some people can handle it, but for others it goes straight to their head. :rolleyes:

10. Cutter

Cutter Active Member

I really do not see the point of going back. I know both LA Carry laws and MS Carry laws, meaning where you can and can not carry. I also know when to use deadly force and when not to. I have FLP Insurance (Firearms Legal Protection) in the event I do shot someone in self defense or to protect my family. The attorney who is with FLP in Mississippi has been notified and he is calling me tomorrow. If a LEO draws down on me for carrying a (legal) Concealed Carry, that would be a direct threat on my life, seeing I obeying MS laws. I am not a cop killer, but I am not going to get shot because he does not know the law or chooses to ignore it.

When I worked at the gun range in Baton Rouge I interacted with the police officers, sheriff officers, Federal Marshals and the FBI. They came there because they were coming up on their requalification and wanted someone to help them, to make sure they qualified. I would work with them and got them back on target. I showed them respect and they showed me the same. Is too much to ask to be shown some respect? I am not the one that wrote into law to allow "Constitutional Carry", the Governor of Mississippi did. If they don't like it, take it up with him not me.

I want to thank you all for your posts and comments. I think I will have to wing this problem myself, wherever it leads.

Attached Files: