Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lord of Butt Hurt - \m/
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are yalls favorite case trimmers and digital calipers? In my unpacking since the divorce two of the items I’m missing that the ex apparently decided I wasn’t getting was a case trimmer and Mitutoyo digital caliper. So I’m in the market and need some good suggestions. Ready GO!

·
Premium Member
13,433 Posts
I've got extras of both. I'll look when I get home.

Reactions: VADER

·
Registered
746 Posts
What are yalls favorite case trimmers and digital calipers? In my unpacking since the divorce two of the items I’m missing that the ex apparently decided I wasn’t getting was a case trimmer and Mitutoyo digital caliper. So I’m in the market and need some good suggestions. Ready GO!
I have several set of dial calipers, and the best one for repeatable accuracy is "hands down"
the set made by Mitutoyo. It is the best in my opinion. I have other brands and I do not have any confidence in their readings, especially the digital calipers. They are all over the place in the readings. Measure five times, and I get five different readings.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
As far as a hand operated trimmer, the Wilson is what I have used for about 40 years …..

·
Premium Member
14,040 Posts
Worlds cheapest trimmer! Works like a champ,cheap as dirt.
.308 Win/7.62 NATO Case Trimmer HMR "WCT" - World's Cheapest Trimmer | eBay
I use those and the Lyman ezee trim. The Lyman cuts pistol brass.
Lyman E-ZEE Trim Hand Case Trimming System 223/243/270Win/308Win/30-06 - 7821891 | eBay
I have one of these for a couple of calibers as well. They work fantastic but are pricey
Worlds Finest Trimmer 2 Housing/Cutter Assembly 700580605120 | eBay
If you buy one of those make sure you get the one above and buy the inserts for the different calibers. When I bought they only had caliber specific models.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
As far as case trimmers, I see that Worlds Finest Trimmer has been mentioned. I have a couple of these and they are okay but I much prefer CTS Trimmers. They are cheaper and just seem to be more consistent and overall work better (for me). For a manual trimmer I ended up with an RCBS with the universal jaws (no shell holders involved). For day to day stuff it works well and I'm happy with it and wouldn't be afraid to recommend it to anyone.

For calipers, I'm not sure I'm the best guy to ask. I have a pair of Frankford Arsenals and they suck. Stay away from them. I also have a Hornady pair and they are serviceable. Nothing to write home about but seem to be worth what I paid for them.

EDIT: https://www.ctstrimmer.com/6-case-trimmers

EDIT-2: If you worry about the CTS trimmers insert wearing out; I wouldn't. I have a 300 BLK version that easily has 20k cases through it and a 5.56 version that has to be very close to 100k cases through it and both have never been adjusted beyond the initial setup I did when I bought them.

Reactions: VADER and Mesquite

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
I use Starrett mechanical outside, Fowler outside digital, and Mitutoyo mechanical inside, (for bore diameter).

Whatever you get, get two or a real micrometer. That way you can constantly cross-check accuracy.

You will get the most accurate readings from a Vernier caliper.

·
Lord of Butt Hurt - \m/
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
As far as case trimmers, I see that Worlds Finest Trimmer has been mentioned. I have a couple of these and they are okay but I much prefer CTS Trimmers. They are cheaper and just seem to be more consistent and overall work better (for me). For a manual trimmer I ended up with an RCBS with the universal jaws (no shell holders involved). For day to day stuff it works well and I'm happy with it and wouldn't be afraid to recommend it to anyone.

For calipers, I'm not sure I'm the best guy to ask. I have a pair of Frankford Arsenals and they suck. Stay away from them. I also have a Hornady pair and they are serviceable. Nothing to write home about but seem to be worth what I paid for them.

EDIT: https://www.ctstrimmer.com/6-case-trimmers

EDIT-2: If you worry about the CTS trimmers insert wearing out; I wouldn't. I have a 300 BLK version that easily has 20k cases through it and a 5.56 version that has to be very close to 100k cases through it and both have never been adjusted beyond the initial setup I did when I bought them.
I was checking out the RCBS trimmer today on the net and I like the design and the way it operates. Thanks for that recommendation it helps my confidence about it for sure to know someone that has used it.

·
Lord of Butt Hurt - \m/
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have several set of dial calipers, and the best one for repeatable accuracy is "hands down"
the set made by Mitutoyo. It is the best in my opinion. I have other brands and I do not have any confidence in their readings, especially the digital calipers. They are all over the place in the readings. Measure five times, and I get five different readings.
I really liked the Mitutoyo digital caliper I had it was very reliable! One of the other members also suggested a Starrett caliper and I totally agree, Mitutoyo and Starrett have always been the absolute industry standard in the machining world when it comes to precision measurement tools. Most likely I will go with one of the two brands when I make my purchase. I used to have both brands when I was at college studying for my Machining degree at Co-Lin. Unfortunately I sold my Kennedy tool chest (which was packed full of every kind of Starrett and Mitutoyo measurement tools known to man) once I graduated and moved on to senior college. Thank you guys so much I just didn’t know if there had been any advancements and/or better manufacturers since the last time I purchased these types of instruments.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,326 Posts
I really liked the Mitutoyo digital caliper I had it was very reliable! One of the other members also suggested a Starrett caliper and I totally agree, Mitutoyo and Starrett have always been the absolute industry standard in the machining world when it comes to precision measurement tools. Most likely I will go with one of the two brands when I make my purchase. I used to have both brands when I was at college studying for my Machining degree at Co-Lin. Unfortunately I sold my Kennedy tool chest (which was packed full of every kind of Starrett and Mitutoyo measurement tools known to man) once I graduated and moved on to senior college. Thank you guys so much I just didn’t know if there had been any advancements and/or better manufacturers since the last time I purchased these types of instruments.
............... :yeah:

Mitutoyo, Starrett, Brown & Sharpe... more or less in that order are all I would trust. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts