Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get set up to make my own buckshot. Been reading up on it and still can't decide on which moulds to try. Any help from someone(s) with experience would be welcomed and appreciated.

Reactions: Mesquite and rigrat

·
Premium Member
14,114 Posts
I have a LEE mold for both 00 and #4 buck. The #4 buck mold can be a PITA at times. Not wanting to fill out well. #4 buck is so small. When you do get some good castings, I suggest you buy a box opener type knife with the long break away blades. Roll the the 3-pellet castings under the knife to separate them.

Use only pure lead in the LEE molds or you could damage the mold.

If you want "some purdy" buckshot pellets, tumble the pellets with a very small amount of powdered graphite. The tumbling will remove the casting/cut marks and give the pellets a shiny black color. Tumble for 3+ hours.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read to tumble them in water as well?

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a LEE mold for both 00 and #4 buck. The #4 buck mold can be a PITA at times. Not wanting to fill out well. #4 buck is so small. When you do get some good castings, I suggest you buy a box opener type knife with the long break away blades. Roll the the 3-pellet castings under the knife to separate them.

Use only pure lead in the LEE molds or you could damage the mold.

If you want "some purdy" buckshot pellets, tumble the pellets with a very small amount of powdered graphite. The tumbling will remove the casting/cut marks and give the pellets a shiny black color. Tumble for 3+ hours.

Do you use a standard brass tumbler?

Also, I pharted around and now Lee buckshot molds can't be found in stock anywhere.
Any one heard of these? They look good but for the price I'd like to see if anyone knows anything about them before I drop a couple of C notes.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,146 Posts
If you keep a eye on titanreloading they come in and out of stock pretty regular.

Reactions: Henry Bowman

·
Premium Member
14,114 Posts
Marty's molds are good molds, but yes, on the pricey side. I have 2 of his molds. A #1 Buck and a 70cal round ball (500gr).

I had to enlarge the sprue holes just a little to help the molds fill better. Other than that they have performed well.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,146 Posts
I just checked FS Reloading and the LEE #4 Buck mold is backordered until around the middle of November.

There out there in stock just have to dig deep into the web and your pockets for some.

Reactions: Henry Bowman

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There out there in stock just have to dig deep into the web and your pockets for some.

Thanks Rig. I honestly spent 90 minutes looking for the mold with nada in stock. Ordered two from 10ring this am.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,146 Posts
Thanks Rig. I honestly spent 90 minutes looking for the mold with nada in stock. Ordered two from 10ring this am.
Glad to help I like spending money especially when its someone else. LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reactions: rigrat
1 - 14 of 14 Posts