Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if I’m doing something wrong.

I have been casting .45LC for sometime now. Absolutely no problems shooting these through my Taurus Judge.
I started casting and reloading for my Taurus G3C recently and have noticed a couple of problems.
I am using the Lee 356 125 2R mold. I started on the low side with the powder.
The first thing I noticed was the many jams or the non feeds into the barrel. So I shortened the oal and this seemed to help. I had to increase the powder to get them to eject properly.
Some still will not feed , seating short.

The pistol shoots well with factory 124g as well as the 124g rn bullets I bought from RMR and the Berry’s 147 rn. Just not with my casts.

Could it be my lead is too soft ? I have had some lead fouling in the Judge.

Thanks,
Mitch

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
I am no expert......I’ll just put that out there now......but I’ve casted a lot.
For my 9mm plinking rounds,it’s almost exclusively that projectile from that mold......fired through a Canik TP9sfx,multiple 1911,a Frankenstein’d pcc AR,and feedmy mothers PT111 and another identical that rides under a seat. No issues with feeding and I seat them at 1.125-1.097.

I’d look at the nose of the projectile to see if there’s some marks from the feed ramp digging in or something else.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am no expert......I’ll just put that out there now......but I’ve casted a lot.
For my 9mm plinking rounds,it’s almost exclusively that projectile from that mold......fired through a Canik TP9sfx,multiple 1911,a Frankenstein’d pcc AR,and feedmy mothers PT111 and another identical that rides under a seat. No issues with feeding and I seat them at 1.125-1.097.

I’d look at the nose of the projectile to see if there’s some marks from the feed ramp digging in or something else.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, there are marks/damage to the projectile. I had shortened the aol to 1.1 also.
A little shorter perhaps ?

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
I’d probably harden up the lead some. If there’s sharp edges that are letting the lead dig in,that’s the only correction other than smoothing out the feed ramp/mouth of the barrel

I’m sure Taurus never planned on anything other than jackets run through it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, that seemed to help a bunch. I poured and quenched 20 to start. Only 1 was finicky, a little dent from the ramp and it would not chamber.
So, I melted down a hundred or so that I had previously cast.
Thank you very much.

Mitch

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have been down this road. The only thing that solved my problem was buying a sizing die 1/1000th smaller and running them through the sizer twice after powder coating. I thought it was COAL issues at first but it wasnt in my case. Shooting a Springfield XD

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been down this road. The only thing that solved my problem was buying a sizing die 1/1000th smaller and running them through the sizer twice after powder coating. I thought it was COAL issues at first but it wasnt in my case. Shooting a Springfield XD
I have the Lee 4 piece die set. I noticed that some casings seemed a little more flared than others and even after using the 4th factory crimp die. I turned it in a fraction more, they seemed smoother to me. I’ll have to test more before I am sure, but this might help, also.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I use the 4 die Lee set also. Tried really crimpimg them hard but that didnt seem to help. All of my finished cartridges would easily fall in and out of a case gauge indicating they were SAAMI correct but still had feeding issues before getting the smaller sizing die

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had wondered about the truncated style bullet. A little less head.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
But I hardened my lead and polished the ramp . Now if it ever stops raining I will pull the trigger a few times to see if that helps.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK
after casting my latest 9mm bullets, quenched them and loaded them up. They seem to feed much better through my pistol. Thanks for the advice, as always. We help each other.

Mitch

1 - 20 of 20 Posts