close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Casting and coating today

Discussion in '"Boolit" Casting' started by Ellis93, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Ellis93

Ellis93 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

The coating is acting like a copper jacket,even with it so soft....there's no leading. I've ran it through rifle and pistol and as long as the powder will pass a smash test (set coated bullet on hard surface,hit with hammer,if the coating doesn't flake off...pass) they never lead. Well,as long as you don't push them too fast. Im running any pistol at FMJ velocities without issue and my 9mm Ar eats the same stuff.
    I've ran the 223 up to 2400fps with a gascheck,no leading.

As far as how too....I use a small jewelry tumbler for applying the powder,also I have a HF powder gun setup.

I prefer the tumbler because I can coat several hundred at once where I can't really do more than 75/100

Be warned,not all powders are created equally. Some work great,others are absolute garbage for this.

I'll try and do a write up soon on it.

As for the lube....it's not needed. That means no foul,nasty lube smoke and no buildup on/in your dies.

2. Henry Bowman

Henry Bowman Distinguished Poster

HOLEE SHEEITE!!!

PLEASE do! I am very interested in learning about this. I cast mainly RN for 9mm and SWC's for .45ACP and .38/.357.

phillipd likes this.

3. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Henry do you ever get over to Columbus? If not, Cousin Chris' business is in Tuscaloosa. Either way, I can get you sampling if Ellis' coated bullies to try

Jarhead5811 and Henry Bowman like this.
  4. Henry Bowman

Yeah that would be great. PM me with details, cost ,ect when it's convenient.

5. phillipd

columbus
    Gimme a holler when you get a chance. 662-425-9032. Cost is zero. I'll give you a couple dozen of every style 9mm and .45 Ellis has made me to date. Just keep away from small kids and democrats, they look like candy. Smell good too

6. Henry Bowman

Will call tomorrow, about ready to call it a night. THANKS again, and I surely don't mind paying you for them.

Jarhead5811 and phillipd like this.
  7. phillipd

columbus
    Your welcome. They aren't for sale but I'll be glad to let you have some. I'm off tomorrow and Wednesday if you want to call

8. Ellis93

Fellas,I could just send some. Not a big deal as i have to go to the post office this week ,sometime,and mail off some lead for testing. If that works let me know.

phillipd, Henry Bowman and rigrat like this.
  9. phillipd

columbus
    Ellis whatever you and Henry decide is fine. Cousin Chris goes to Tuscaloosa several times a week

Jarhead5811 and Ellis93 like this.
  10. wllmkttrll

wllmkttrll Distinguished Poster

clinton
    Ellis,aluminum bulet is it posible,you get the size and half the weight.
    Just wondering.

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  11. Ellis93

Considering you'd have to have 1100* temp to keep aluminum liquid.....I don't think you'd cast it like lead. You could turn it on a lathe or.....sand cast it/lost foam maybe.
    It would work tho you'd have a bullet the same size with a 1/4 of the weight lol

Jarhead5811 and wllmkttrll like this.
  12. Ellis93

All I need is an address

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  13. wllmkttrll

wllmkttrll Distinguished Poster

clinton
    speed gotta be a lot faster.Oxidizing in the barrel?

Jarhead5811 and rigrat like this.
  14. Ellis93

Oh,I bet they'd be fast and hell on the barrel they're riding in,least that's what I think......then again I'm no metallurgist lol

wllmkttrll and Jarhead5811 like this.