Mississippi Gun Owners banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Deplorables Battalion Commander
26,972 Posts
Several years ago my nephew worked for DHS. One Saturday we planned a deer hunt. He showed up about 10 o'clock. I asked him where he had been. His answer was " I work for the state and I have a reputation to uphold." As of yet I have never met a state employee who didn't share that same attitude. It has become a part of their culture all the way to the top.
Funny.

Gov. Reeves' EO #1495 directed all state agencies to resume "normal operations" by July 1, 2020, so it doesn't surprise me that there is suddenly a Wednesday walk-in option for firearms permits beginning 6/24. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Several years ago my nephew worked for DHS. One Saturday we planned a deer hunt. He showed up about 10 o'clock. I asked him where he had been. His answer was " I work for the state and I have a reputation to uphold." As of yet I have never met a state employee who didn't share that same attitude. It has become a part of their culture all the way to the top.
One of my first post-college jobs was working for Mississippi State. The pay was pretty lousy, (one of the reasons I left), but the benefits were great. One of them was a crazy amount of leave time, plus two weeks off at Christmas/New Years. I never could use all of my leave time, and when I left, I was at the max they would pay you for. Yet, I worked with people who used every hour they had available, and complained they never had enough. I figured it up that between holidays and leave time, an employee could be off work over 7 weeks a year. It was even worse for long timers, since the amount of leave time you got went up after a few years.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
34,765 Posts
Isn't MDOT a state job? Have seen allot of them and allot of Drivers license counter workers over the years that evidently want to uphold there reputation of not giving a :poop:. Your nephew was by far the exception to the rule.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Isn't MDOT a state job? Have seen allot of them and allot of Drivers license counter workers over the years that evidently want to uphold there reputation of not giving a :poop:. Your nephew was by far the exception to the rule.
Yeah Rig, He got out of there as soon as he could. He is now a Methodist Minister. He might have jumped out of the pan into the fire.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
I copied this from face book, desoto county government page.
UPDATED DMV INFORMATION (Updated June 24):
*Firearm permits and security guard permits will only be processed on Wednesdays at the 9 MHP District Troop Stations.
*Temperature checks will be administered to each customer before entering service locations. Masks are strongly encouraged.
*Wednesdays will now only be designated for firearm permits, security guard permits, renewals, and duplicate transactions for driver licenses and identification cards. Wednesdays will also be available for customers 65 years and older to be serviced between the hours of 8:00 a.m. until 10:00 a.m.
Here is the daily schedule for visits per last names:
Monday: A-E
Tuesday: F-L
Wednesday: All Locations: Renewals and Duplicates for driver licenses and identification cards.
*Firearm permits and security guard permits will only be processed on at the 9 MHP District Troop Stations.
Thursday: M-S
Friday: T-Z

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
I had the day off, to try to take care of as much stuff as I could. My CCL expired last summer so I am having to completely re-apply. I thought I would try to take care of it today. I pulled into the station in New Albany at ten minutes till 8 this morning, there were already more than 25 people standing in line outside, and more sitting in cars, holy [email protected] I guess I will have to just plan on blowing the whole day there, couldn't do it today. On indefinite continued hold I guess.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
34,765 Posts
Wife has been wanting us to redo ours as we are in the same boat. But like I told her we’d have to be at Hattiesburg by6am and in line.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I finally made it 4 weeks ago in Jackson. got there at 6:45 and was approximately #75 in line @ 7:45 someone came out and seperated us into two lines, ccw and others, Then seniors were moved to the front of those lines. Ccw then averaged one every 10-15 minutes. On the bright side I received my permit in two weeks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went to Jackson bc I thought Brookhaven was not doing permits. Was told by the lady on the phone to arrive at 4:30 am. I got up at 130 left at 2 got there at 4. It’s behind the VA BTW - iPhone couldn’t find it. People started arriving at 5. At 730 they came out and separated Ccw and dL. Then 8-10 wait for any seniors. I was 1st in line and got in at 930 out at 945. Mentioned Brookhaven and Hattiesburg not online. Yes they are.....Phones don’t work..... We know. Probably half the people who showed didn’t get in bf close of business. I wouldn’t bother after 6.
The employees said they believed that in the near future all renewals will be mail in. Hope so.
Lotta trouble when they have your fingerprints saved digitally.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, hope they find a way soon to do the right thing. They day I was fortunate enough to get through the process I was excited but at the same time felt terrible for all those in line who were not going to come close to accomplishing what they had come to do. To legally exercise their rights under the 2nd amendment.

·
26,972 Posts
The employees said they believed that in the near future all renewals will be mail in. Hope so.
Lotta trouble when they have your fingerprints saved digitally.
Since we can't "nuke it from orbit, it's the only way," I firmly believe that state or federal lawsuits are the REAL solution here. Make them COMPLY!

Reactions: Holyshooter

·
Registered
558 Posts
My wife's and mine both expired in April. We spent most of the day today gathering up the necessary items and mailed two separate packages in this afternoon with return receipt through the USPS. We had pictures taken at Walgreen, fingerprint cards at the local PD, the bank notarized all the forms and sold us two separate cashier's checks for $72.00 each. I included a copy of my current if expired Firearms Permit front and back, a copy of my driver's license, and a copy of my retired military ID. I already have the enhanced endorsement. In my wife's packet I included a copy of her carry permit, driver's license, and DD214 showing her time in SWA. She should qualify for the enhanced endorsement based on her veteran status.

We will see how long this method takes, neither of us were interested in standing in line for an extended amount of time.

Ocean Springs PD has a sign in the window saying they will not be doing fingerprinting but we called yesterday and they said nothing about not doing them. They didn't say a word about not doing them today, just took us back one at a time and used their fancy machine. Total time was only a few minutes.

·
26,972 Posts
I'm in Olive Branch, but I ended up at the Southaven PD to be fingerprinted on Thursday afternoon for my MS CCW permit renewal application.

They did them. Masked. Used the old ink and roller process. God Bless!

Olive Branch PD, Hernando PD, and DeSoto Co. Sheriff's Department would not fingerprint me.

[ I wonder where my city and county property tax dollars go then? ... <SARC> ]

Trying my best to make the state permit-renewal-by-mail process work. Even if they won't.

I don't want to stand in line. Batesville, in my case.

Even having the CCW renewal application and other required forms notarized at my bank yesterday was a drill. Ditto for cutting the cashier's check. The bank lobby was closed -- COVID-19 precautions. Bank doors were locked. 13-yr customer. But I persevered. Got both of those done.

[I took my renewal application photo at Walgreen's UNMASKED. I hope that's OK for Tater and DPS!]

I'm double and triple-checking everything else on my permit renewal application before I mail in the packet. With USPS tracking, of course.

Fortunately, I have our governor's email and USPS addresses too. One-term Tater!!!

Reactions: Holyshooter

·
26,972 Posts
My wife's and mine both expired in April. We spent most of the day today gathering up the necessary items and mailed two separate packages in this afternoon with return receipt through the USPS. We had pictures taken at Walgreen, fingerprint cards at the local PD, the bank notarized all the forms and sold us two separate cashier's checks for $72.00 each. I included a copy of my current if expired Firearms Permit front and back, a copy of my driver's license, and a copy of my retired military ID. I already have the enhanced endorsement. In my wife's packet I included a copy of her carry permit, driver's license, and DD214 showing her time in SWA. She should qualify for the enhanced endorsement based on her veteran status.

We will see how long this method takes, neither of us were interested in standing in line for an extended amount of time.

Ocean Springs PD has a sign in the window saying they will not be doing afingerprinting but we called yesterday and they said nothing about not doing them. They didn't say a word about not doing them today, just took us back one at a time and used their fancy machine. Total time was only a few minutes.
Please keep us updated as your packets are processed.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm gonna have to re-apply this time around I let it go expired to long. I am planning to try the mail in process this go around in lieu of taking a day off work to hang out in line.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any recent update on MHP Headquarters (live in Hinds County) for CCW renewal?
Tried to see if fingerprint was possible for mailing, was a no go at Clinton PD, Byram PD and Hinds Co. Sheriff all due to lobbies closed for Covid. Any info advice appreciated. Expiring in October........

21 - 40 of 43 Posts