Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While shooting the steel challenge match on Saturday, I heard a rifle going off in the long range rifle range.  When I drove by, there was a single guy shooting a centerfire rifle and a guy whom I believe is a club range safety officer standing a few (20 feet?) away.  They were behind the tape and signs that say “range closed”.

I thought all rifle ranges were closed until the baffles got built.  How was this guy shooting?  If you get a range safety officer to sit with you are you allowed to shoot a rifle?

·
Registered
57 Posts
For about the last month the rifle range is open on Saturday and Sunday from 8am to 6pm.  RSO is on hand to supervise.  Appointments can also be made with RSO to shoot during the week.

·
Registered
9,891 Posts
This is a terrible solution to the CRPC's problems.  I have always avoided the range like the plague on weekends because of the crowds on those days: by limiting high-powered rifle shooting to those two days they are eliminating many members use of the range; in addition, while it doesn't bother me, having spent many hours shooting in competition, many members feel uncomfortable having somebody looking over their shoulders all the time they are shooting.

In addition to limiting many members use of the range, they should consider that a new range has just opened that is just a little further out of the way and costs less than a quarter of the annual fee that CRPC charges.  I hope that the club can better address their problems...if not, I fear that they are going to loose a lot of membership.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Its not that terrible a solution when you consider that the alternative was to shut the rifle range down completely until the baffles are installed.

This is a temporary solution until the baffles are in place. If you want to shoot during the week, call the RSO and schedule it with him. I don't think he's ever told anyone no.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.