Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a major sporting goods retailer today in search of an inexpensive shotgun for squirrels and home defense. I had my heart set on a semi-auto, and I looked at several. Lots of stuff coming out of Turkey now in the shotgun world. I liked the Pointer Phenoma line, but at the price point, I could have a Winchester SX4 with just enough extra to buy a tank of gas. I had read about the Stoeger 3500 and saw they had a 5-yr warranty, so I was inclined to handle a couple. One had the front fiber optic bead slightly off center to the left. Another's forearm was loose down around the action, even with the magazine tube cap locked down tight. I wound up with a Winchester SXP pump, which is also made in Turkey, but obviously not at the same factory as the Stoeger. Not certain Stoeger is made in Turkey, but at that price point, I'd say it has to be or somewhere with even less QC. That may be the one I read was made in China. That would explain A LOT!

Bottom line, make sure you check things out really well on these foreign-made (non-European) shotguns before you buy one, and make sure if you find one that checks out ok, the dealer sells you THE ONE you looked at and not another one in the back room. They may not be equal! So head up... Winchester is made in Turkey, but the quality I've experienced seems to be better than the older ones made in New Haven, CT. Smooth, solid, nothing rattles, high rib comes to the eye every time. Good sights and back-bored barrel. Oh, and ultra-light on the camo 20ga!

·
Registered
12,599 Posts
Some stoeger shotguns are made in turkey. My m2000 was and the other similar series are.
I've been Impressed with it, especially for a used pawn shop gun.Since it’s a sister company to benelli they were able to use a similar inertia system without patent violations. It’s a smooth shooting gun and can fire extremely quick.
Their sxs and I think the over/under are made by boito in Brazil. Those are also great budget guns, my boito 410 sxs is older than me and shoots great

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,296 Posts
Some stoeger shotguns are made in turkey. My m2000 was and the other similar series are.
I've been Impressed with it, especially for a used pawn shop gun.Since it’s a sister company to benelli they were able to use a similar inertia system without patent violations. It’s a smooth shooting gun and can fire extremely quick.
Their sxs and I think the over/under are made by boito in Brazil. Those are also great budget guns, my boito 410 sxs is older than me and shoots great
Nothing budget about the Stoeger SXS's at a price tag of upper $400 to upper $500.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are undoubtedly some great ones out there, but check over this new crop good because they don't seem to have a super keen eye for little issues that would be a deal breaker for the American shooter.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,296 Posts
There are undoubtedly some great ones out there, but check over this new crop good because they don't seem to have a super keen eye for little issues that would be a deal breaker for the American shooter.
Very sound advice, for every firearm we buy.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My nephew bought a stoeger auto for dove season this year..I noticed him unjaming a failure to eject or failure to feed more than he was shooting...I took up his slack with my ol faithful mossberg..haha

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing budget about the Stoeger SXS's at a price tag of upper $400 to upper $500.
Sadly, rig, this is about as cheap as it gets for a SxS. Unless F.I.E. is still making them. I was all set to purchase a Stevens 555E in 28, 20, or 16ga for nigh to $700. Those are O/Us, but my only other real option for a SXS (what I really wanted) was the CZ, (Made in Turkey) and only the 20ga had removable chokes. My knock on Stoeger double guns is their weight. I was determined to get a sub-7 lb gun. I had a CZ O/U 20ga some years back that was light and maneuverable enough, but I was consistently missing birds. I took it to the skeet range and consistently missed skeets. The range owner took the gun and busted every plate that was thrown. Bottom line is there was nothing wrong with the gun, it just didn't fit/swing well in my hands. I swapped it for a Browning BPS 16ga with straight English stock and shot birds down that had been missed twice by a 12ga. The BPS was great, but it was still 7 pounds and left a little blister on my hand with the straight stock after a full day of shooting. I couldn't find the right shooting glove.

Next thing up in a SXS is into 4 figures to get a nice lightweight, anyways.

It is sad...

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,296 Posts
And I just don't get it ? What makes a SXS so much more expensive? Seems that they would be cheaper and easier to produce than a pump and especially a auto.

Reactions: Henry Bowman and rc

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought the same thing. I do remember reading that the old boxlock actions had LOTS of intricate and moving parts, but we don't have that level of craftsmanship anymore.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only thing I can figure is the actions are solid blocks vs tubular aluminum actions for most of the pumps and autos. But if that were the case, Single shots would be more expensive, as well. You can get them for under $200 unless you get a "sho-nuff" trap gun with 34" barrel and adjustable stock.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,296 Posts
The only SXS I ever owned I bought for $125 in a pawn shop. A Steven's 311R (riot version) and stupidly sold it off.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,296 Posts
Only thing I can figure is the actions are solid blocks vs tubular aluminum actions for most of the pumps and autos. But if that were the case, Single shots would be more expensive, as well. You can get them for under $200 unless you get a "sho-nuff" trap gun with 34" barrel and adjustable stock.
Yep thats what I was thinking why if singles are so cheap do doubles have to cost so much.

Reactions: Henry Bowman

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I sold off an old F.I.E. refurbished double and still have a .410 Braztech or something like that. Can't hit a squirrel at 20 yards with it. Keep it for home defense.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,296 Posts
LOL the old Stevens 12 would print two shoe box patterns about 4" apart, with 00 buck if you pulled both triggers same time. Man I miss that shotty.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,296 Posts
Thinking about it have never seen another 311R since then either.

Reactions: Henry Bowman

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There was a buddy of mine back in high school that picked up a Revelation 12ga pump that somebody had taken a hacksaw to and sawed off to somewhere around 24". It didn't have a bead on it, and I don't even know if it was marked for choke size, but if you put a Winchester XX 000 3" through that thing - the old ones with 9 pellets instead of 8 - 7 would be in that shoe box at 50 yards with the other 2 within 6 inches! We tried it multiple times. Never seen anything like that in the "ultra-modern" era!

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
I will not go into length but will only have a couple things to say about the Turkish (and other similar) shotguns - I shoot shotguns - a lot - probably in the 20+ thousand shells per year.
If you are gonna shoot a box a shells per year - maybe one of those guns is OK (unless, as most of them do - it kicks the coon-dog crap out of you and bloodies your cheeks) - but if you are going to shoot and depend on a shotgun - get something else.

·
Registered
12,599 Posts
I sold off an old F.I.E. refurbished double and still have a .410 Braztech or something like that. Can't hit a squirrel at 20 yards with it. Keep it for home defense.
The fie were the same exact guns made by boito. Fie was just an importer. Mine was brought in by them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts