Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do archaeological survey for a living and so I wear a backpack while at work. In some of the locations I work in a sidearm is just a smart thing to have due to predators. Has anyone used a chest rig to carry ? Not going with a thigh holster since I climb over and through brush all the time and I have yet to find one that is comfortable for 8-10 hours.
Any one have recommendations?

·
Premium Member
10,467 Posts
There was another thread just recently, dicussing holsters & shoulder rigs were mention.
Might try search.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
google tanker chest rig

fit a bit more snug and secure, not quite as fast a draw as a tradition shoulder holster, but keeps your weapon close enough for snakes or someone walking up to you.
various pricing depending on weapon and materials, even can find ww2 surplus or replicas think that was called a M7 tankers holster

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,375 Posts
Galco Classic Lite

So a shoulder holster or a chest rig. Like loaded with battle rattle. No experience but if already Have straps from a backpack then additional straps would be pretty uncomfortable I would think. Maybe a new backpack with holster in/on it. And why not just a good OWB holster and a real good gun belt

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking at the Kentai rig Kenai Chest Holster – GunfightersINC

Mainly its for hogs and in some places there is a potential for running into puma, really hope I never need it for that but I ain't letting my crew get mauled either.
Can't be leather as I get soaked through on a regular basis

Bouncer: I forgot about the old tanker holster so will look into that. Thanks
Maroon: Regular shoulder holster wont work as I take the pack off a lot and the pack straps catch on the pistol, so it needs to be more centered. I tried my OWB but then the waist belt catches.
2Dark: I think the pic you posted is the Kenai rig I posted a link to.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,096 Posts

Chesty puller system for simply rugged holster. But would work with any holster with belt loop design like that.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,375 Posts
I was looking at the Kentai rig Kenai Chest Holster – GunfightersINC

Mainly its for hogs and in some places there is a potential for running into puma, really hope I never need it for that but I ain't letting my crew get mauled either.
Can't be leather as I get soaked through on a regular basis

Bouncer: I forgot about the old tanker holster so will look into that. Thanks
Maroon: Regular shoulder holster wont work as I take the pack off a lot and the pack straps catch on the pistol, so it needs to be more centered. I tried my OWB but then the waist belt catches.
2Dark: I think the pic you posted is the Kenai rig I posted a link to.
PUMA? Ah hell naw. Yeah I think the rig you and 2dark posted would be best suited under all your parameters. Kydex holster so impervious to elements. Nylon webbing and plastic buckles the same. Adjustable. Out of the way. Easily accessible. And would balance you out with pack on your back. Could even conceal fairly easily with a jacket zipped up

·
Super Moderator
13,402 Posts
I can't remember brand right off, but pretty sure it's an Uncle Mike's nylon rig I have for my 7 5/8" Ruger .44 mag. Revolver rests comfortably against my left rib cage and is easy to draw. It also has cartridge loops. I'm almost 69" and 145# and it had enough adjustment to fit me very well

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
tommy's gun pack has some vertical type that would also work and be concealed too. I used a tommy gun pack for about 5 yrs mountainbiking and they are good stuff. I usually wore it like a butt pack, but I could spin to front it really quick if need be.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Simply Rugged....

Get a simply rugged holster and a chesty puller to turn it into a chest rig.
That's exactly what I was thinking. After looking at everything I could find on the market Im convinced that this is the best option. I've considered buying an unreasonably sized revolver just so I can justify a chesty puller rig.

Actually...... I should get one for a Contender.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Reactions: Jarhead5811
1 - 18 of 18 Posts