close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

China blocks US Navy aircraft carrier from Hong Kong port

Discussion in 'General Off Topic' started by fordpkup, Apr 30, 2016.

1. bar306

bar306 Distinguished Poster

Blockade all of their cheapazz crap from entry into US ports and permanently.

2. I'm a Rebel

I'm a Rebel Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Well that would work if we still made anything in the U.S...

Stryker6, rigrat, MrGoodtime and 4 others like this.
  3. CajunBP

CajunBP Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

When we entered WWII we retooled factories and produced an amazing array of war equipment. I know next to nothing about production, but I wonder if we could do it now?

4. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

It could be done. Would take a year or so to convert/toolup/hire and train, but it could be done. What's different is that WWII tech was very primitive by today's standards, and supply chains were much shorter & mostly within US borders. It wouldn't be Rosie the Riveter now; it would be Rosie the Industrial Robot.

Anyway, warfare itself has changed, even since the first Gulf war. Massed armies dukeing it out on some battlefield isn't going to happen anymore. Modern war is about small operations on one end, and full out nuke war on the other end, with basically nothing in-between. So we don't need hundreds of troop ships and tens of thousands of tanks and aircraft to be produced. Much scarier, imho.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    phillipd, 22lrfan, CajunBP and 3 others like this.
  5. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

bar306, 22lrfan, 45flattop and 4 others like this.
  6. BasMstr

BasMstr Distinguished Poster

Last I checked, America was still number one in manufacturing, maybe that's changed. How long we hold on to the title is anybody's guess. Personally, I blame unions.

7. I'm a Rebel

I'm asking an honest question: what, what do we manufacture?

8. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

Still some steel and pipe manufacturers here. Concrete. Alcoa aluminum is still produced in several plants here

phillipd and I'm a Rebel like this.
  9. Blondie70

Blondie70 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Well....we still make guns...but obuttsucker is full steam ahead to even shut this down .

10. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

We make ammo and we make dang fine nuclear weapons!!!! :D:D:D

11. bubbat

bubbat Gate Keeper to my corner of Hell

Clinton
    Gas, oil, steel, autos, motorcycles, military equipment, food, guns, ammo, cell phones,commercial airliners, fighter jets, personal jets and airplanes, electronics,lumber, mining, chemicals. A lot more than people think, but our manufacturing is down since the 1960's from 90% of all products we buy to something like 60-65%

94LEVERFAN and CajunBP like this.
  12. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

The answer to that question depends on 2 things: How you define manufacturing, and how far down in the supply chain weeds you want to get.

13. 45flattop

45flattop Distinguished Poster

Jackson
    Shutting down Chinese imports would only result in the Walton clan calling
    up their tame POTUS and getting that reversed overnight, can't have Chinamart's
    supply chain disrupted.

14. I'm a Rebel

My question is : how much of anything you mentioned can we make without importing anything?

15. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Personally I blame congress especial Clinton and the NAFTA. And now days all the other biased trad agreements that work to strip the US of factories and blue collar jobs that we so desperately need.
    We had Union-less factories here in the south that went overseas as soon as NAFTA stacked the foreign trade more favorably than American made goods.

I'm a Rebel and fordpkup like this.
  16. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

We are still mining metals here as well as recycling and concrete is made wholly here! Powder and primers as well as brass and bullets are still made here and our nuclear stuff is still made here!!

I'm a Rebel, 45flattop and fordpkup like this.
  17. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Right here in the south we used to manufacture Wells Lamount gloves of all flavors, Sunbeem Oster electric blanket, both in Waynesboro, bathroom scales in a factory in Quitman. Thats just what I knew of around here.

No longer do to the fact we let sweat shop and slave labor goods into our country with out tariffs and taxes enough to level the playing field. Why would you want to let cheaper made and quality goods into the US killing jobs and incomes for Americans , unless the dirty politicians have got or get kick backs to pass laws to allow such. We sit back and let other countries tax us into poor ville while we basically pay the shipping for them to bring goods in. Goods that are about 15% of the quality we made.

18. CajunBP

CajunBP Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

We buy American as much as we can, particularly food. It seems like almost all major American candy companies are making their candy overseas. Remember when Walmart said "Buy American? Try finding a USA made product in their stores.

19. We make Thugs, And crack ho's

aint nobody got hoodRats like us.