Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Choosing an AK

3K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  jbwonfire 
#1 ·
What should I look for when choosing an AK?

#3 ·
#5 ·
Even WASR's are plenty tough and reliable, just watch out for canted gas blocks.

If you want a little more quality (chrome lined barrel, Russian factory built) and like working on projects, buy a Saiga rifle and convert it to AK config yourself. It's not difficult at all. Or, if you don't want to mess with that, you can also buy already-converted Saiga AK, but you'll be paying a bit more for someone else to do the work.

#9 ·
scott39641 said:
Are the Romanian AK's decent rifle's. That's all I have around here so far?
I got a couple of them -- they are just fine for what they are ... they look and feel like an AK!! Mine will digest anything you put into them - fairly accurate for a gun with loose tollerances. They are fun!! ... and cheap!

#10 ·
Last time I bought a Romanian AK, (2005), I went to the range with some friends. Best 100 yd group was about 20". No malfunctions, but...I shoot HP rifle, among other disciplines, and I just can't have something like that in the safe. I sold it the following Monday to someone who just wanted a bullet hose.
On the other hand, my Arsenal AK74 will shoot >90% at the NRA reduced 200 yd target from prone with WOLF ammunition. I'd like to have another one in 7,62x39, but it has to hold a group...They are fun, very reliable, and as Captain notes, you pretty much get what you pay for. My 2 cents-

#12 ·
I would not consider an AK suitable for hunting...its an assault weapon. Most ammo u see is FMJ...

not a good choice for hunting...

In war, wounding counts about as good as killing...I don't want wounded animals

a more accurate rifle is its cousin the SKS...It just doesn't have the "evil" factor the AK has

#13 ·
There's plenty of good hunting-appropriate ammo in 7.62x39. But you might have to order it:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/rifle-ammo-762x39

The bigger issue for me in using an AK as a hunting rifle is the relative lack of good options for mounting optics. Most of the receiver mounts position the scope quite high, making it difficult to get a good check weld while seeing clearly through the scope.

I have an Ultimak gas tube mount on my AK, but it positions the scope or optic in a forward position that would only be appropriate for red dot sights or pistol/scout style scopes with long eye relief.

Of course, you don't have to use a scope for hunting, but I know a lot of people prefer to have a scope if possible.

#15 ·
I guess u did not look at any of the links Captain-03 and I provided..

plenty of new ones to be had...cheaper than $450

U are talking the most popular Commie Battle weapon of all time...

I didn't say u couldn't hunt with it.... just that there are a lot better choices

throw down and get one...or two

#18 ·
I've owned a few AK's over the years & I think my Norincos are some of the best.

I love the AK for what it is, an affordable, reliable & accurate "enough" battle rifle. :thumbup:

My stamped Mak 90, with Midwest Industries PALM handguard, (waiting on a Primary Arms micro red-dot to arrive), Magpul foreward grip, Tapco 6 position stock:

</a><a href="http://www.flickr.com/people/55304595@N07/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

My more traditional milled Mak 90 with Ironwood furniture:

</a><a href="http://www.flickr.com/people/55304595@N07/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

Not an AK, but a cousin... Norinco SKS Sporter that is manufactured to accept AK mags:

#24 ·
This is a bit of a tangent considering the subject of this thread, but: shoot your rifle in any service rifle match; down here at SW Gun Club we shoot US Army Precision Combat matches 2x a year and the AK would be ok for that but for service rifle matches you want an M1 or AR type - it will develop your skills immensely. If one only shoots at targets from a bench on the range under no time or rule constraints, one never betters one's self; if you compete - no matter where you are at the end of the match - you are improving your marksmanship. Ask anyone who competes in ANY of the disciplines - pistol (bullseye, air, combat, etc), shotgun, or rifle - if you go to a match to challenge yourSELF, to he%& with the rankings, just to score higher each time, you will improve. It is very rewarding and will improve you as a "rifleman".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.