close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Choosing Scope Magnification

Discussion in 'Optics and Accessories' started by nonnieselman, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Nocturnal Specialties

Ive been goin back and forth on what scope magnification to get for my latest .22-250 build and ive narrowed the scope down to the new Vortex PST Gen II.
    My problem is do i go 3-15x or 5-25x.
    Im thinking more for hunting just go with the 3-15x cause on my 300WM i have the 6-24x and even on the lowest zoom it feels like a bit much for most places unless out shooting on the farm.

Vortex Optics - Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 FFP EBR-2C (MOA)<br />Tactical

Vortex Optics - Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 FFP EBR-2C (MOA)<br />Tactical

mascott likes this.
  2. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I think you answered your own question! But then, you probably know the answer better than anyone!

3. Rw

Rw Moderator Staff Member

You can borrow my 6-18 bushnell and see if that covers the range you need. Its just sitting in a drawer right now.

4. Sneaky

Sneaky Distinguished Poster

My philosophy on scope magnification is that you only need to see the target good enough to aim at the spot you want to hit. Making the target look bigger doesn't help you hit it. And for closer targets or movers, the larger the field of view the better. Unless you're setting it up specifically for long range or targets smaller than 1 moa (which I doubt is the case here), go with the 3-15. 15x is plenty for moa targets, and the 3x low end is WAY better than the 6x inside 100-150 yds or for anything moving out to 300ish.

I upgraded from a 3-12 S&B to a 3-20 S&B only because I could gain on the top end but keep the low end. The 3-20 actually has a wider FOV at 3x than the 3-12 due to the optical design, so it was a win-win situation.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Blondie70 likes this.
  5. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Nocturnal Specialties

I just like getting everyone's opinion.
    I really think im goin to do the 3-15 since some places we hunt might only be out to 100 yards, and 15 is plenty to get on out there especially with the vortex 2C reticle.

Rachet_36 likes this.
  6. Xd357

Xd357 Moderator Staff Member

Edwards
    3-15 for sure.