Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a Shooting Chrony chronograph for quite a few years but I've never had it side by side with any other units to compare.

I'm thinking of getting either a Labradar or Magnetospeed.

Anyone want to share what you're using and why?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I use a ProChrono DLX with bluetooth capability. Download Digital Link to your phone & the chrono will feed the results to your phone which you can then email to yourself. Also got a nice tripod. Think I purchased from Amazon (see below link) but mine was cheaper then what Bezos sells for now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a caldwell that is finicky. I shot with a buddies labradar this past weekend and it was hands down a superior experience. I understand the magnetospeed to be the most reliable. The complaint I heard was that it could not be used when establishing zero because of the unit being strapped to the barrel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a caldwell that is finicky. I shot with a buddies labradar this past weekend and it was hands down a superior experience. I understand the magnetospeed to be the most reliable. The complaint I heard was that it could not be used when establishing zero because of the unit being strapped to the barrel.
The thing that makes me lean more toward the Labradar is the ability to get velocities while doing load work-up or even just practicing without affecting POA/POI.

While there are mounts that allow the mounting of the Magnetospeed to a pic/Arca rail, that isn't a viable option on all guns.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I use a Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph. It works. I think I would prefer to have Bluetooth over a data cable.

Out of the two you mentioned, I would say Labradar. It would be quicker to set up and test with different guns. You also competely remove the chance of stricking the equipment. There is still a chance of striking the Magnitospeed if it comes loose or improperly installed. That's what I heard anyway. The Labradar should be able to provide you with more information as well. Not just muzzle velocity!

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Just before the Labradar came out I bought a Oehler 35P (Reportedly what the FBI labs used at the time). Since then I've gone Labradar and happy with the decision.

Labradar pluses
It sets up AT the firing line which means no need for the range to go cold to setup.
Works with pretty much any type of gun (I haven't found one that it didn't work with yet); handgun, rifle, any caliber; even arrows.
Records shooting strings (for load workup)
Does not affect POA/POI.
Will never have a screen strike

Labradar minuses
None to speak of really

Magneto Speed pluses
Cheaper than Labradar

Magneto Speed minuses
Not designed for handguns or archery
Affect on POA/POI is debatable. (Magneto Speeds claims no but I can't see how hanging something off the barrel doesn't change the harmonics, therefore POI)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts