Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,133 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Gunny is correct, a basic Caldwell is fine for most. I have spent thousands of dollars on equipment and honestly the Caldwell performs as well as my expensive precision stuff. Just not all the bells and whistles. If you just want to know velocity it is perfect.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I bought Oehler 35P several years back then about 2 years ago a Labradar. I can tell you the labradar has some advantages over a screen style chronograph; although the 35P may be slightly more accurate.
For one the Labradar is not affected by weather or sun conditions. It is also easy to setup in an indoor range since it does not require placement forward of the firing line. It can however be affected by other shooters in close proximity. I personally haven't had that issue and it's sensitivity is adjustable and directional; I don't set it up if there is someone in the lane next to me. You will also never have a bullet strike with a Labradar since it is setup behind the gun instead of in front of it. The labradar is super easy to setup and packs up nice n small and neatly.

Unless I'm working on something that I want single digit accuracy on the 35P stays at home and the Labradar comes with.
Truth is if Labradar was out when I bought my 35P I would've got it and never bought the 35P.

If a Labradar is in the budget; it is the way to go

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve been looking at the labradar but $550 is a hard pill to swallow. Seems like the cheap caldwells leave much to be desired. I was looking at the Caldwell ballistic precision g2 as a middle of the road chronograph that most people like but everyone says their app is horrible. What I need is one that works regardless of cloud cover that’s repeatable from one day to the next. I really hope the labradar isn’t my only option for that.

·
Registered
16,133 Posts
I’ve been looking at the labradar but $550 is a hard pill to swallow. Seems like the cheap caldwells leave much to be desired. I was looking at the Caldwell ballistic precision g2 as a middle of the road chronograph that most people like but everyone says their app is horrible. What I need is one that works regardless of cloud cover that’s repeatable from one day to the next. I really hope the labradar isn’t my only option for that.
As far as I know there are only 3 basic technologies. Optical (like the Chrony), Radar, and Magnetic. They each have pros and cons of one kind or another. Magnetic mounts on the barrel, and is low priced, but may not be suitable for some firearms.

Here's the MagnetoSpeed site: StackPath

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Any optical chronograph will react to weather conditions and time of day / sun position. The 35P does the best at combating that but it is priced similarly to the Labradar and no longer the best option IMHO. The magnetic option is limited to fixed barrels. Like I said if Labradar is in the budget it is the best option. Otherwise when it comes to opticals unless going with a 35P they are all pretty close in effectiveness and accuracy (relying on the same technology and general configuration). If you go that way you can pretty much just flip a coin to pick one; at least in my estimation.

EDIT: FYI, in years past the FBI ballistics labs used the 35P; these days I believe they have switches to Labradar.

Reactions: Goldenglove789

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Now it would be interesting to see some enterprising person build some sort of fixture for a magnetic. Some type of bench rest. But I feel like that would have some challenges and limit you to having to shoot most handguns from the rest. As far as when barrel mounted; it most certainly affects barrel harmonics and therefore point of impact which means not being able to test accuracy and velocity at the same time. Magnetospeed says no but I have my doubts since that defies the laws of physics, at least as I understand them.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
I bought Oehler 35P several years back then about 2 years ago a Labradar. I can tell you the labradar has some advantages over a screen style chronograph; although the 35P may be slightly more accurate.
For one the Labradar is not affected by weather or sun conditions. It is also easy to setup in an indoor range since it does not require placement forward of the firing line. It can however be affected by other shooters in close proximity. I personally haven't had that issue and it's sensitivity is adjustable and directional; I don't set it up if there is someone in the lane next to me. You will also never have a bullet strike with a Labradar since it is setup behind the gun instead of in front of it. The labradar is super easy to setup and packs up nice n small and neatly.
Unless I'm working on something that I want single digit accuracy on the 35P stays at home and the Labradar comes with.
Truth is if Labradar was out when I bought my 35P I would've got it and never bought the 35P.
If a Labradar is in the budget; it is the way to go
I agree with everything 0o Rogue Oo posted.
I started long ago with an Oehler 33. I also use Oehler ballistic software.
I then got a 35P. IMO - if using a light chronograph Oehler is the way to go. That company makes a lot of great innovative scientific equipment.. Most ammo companies use their equipment for pressure testing and other stuff.

If I were still shooting competitive rifle - I would have a Labradar unit as well. All I hear is great. EXCEPT - I contacted them and they told me the unit does not work for shotguns........... if it did I would have one as the VAST majority of my shooting is shotgun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts