Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Colt's stainless is no match for my perspiration. And, I sweat a LOT! My Officer model was showing pretty good signs of wear, but when I removed the grips I was flabbergasted. Rust. Lots of rust. By chance I went with a friend to Pontotoc to a smith I didn't know. My friend was getting TruGlo TFO sights installed on a Glock carry gun. After seeing the smith's work I returned with my Colt. Here's the result:
Officer-left.jpeg
Officer-right.jpeg
Officer-sight.jpeg
The pistol is Cerakoted in Titanium and Graphite Black. It also has a new custom fiber optic front sight.
The work (and the pictures) are by Big Will at Gun Shot Residue, LLC (GSR). Big Will found that internal parts had a pretty bad rust problem, too. He worked it over and gave the gun new life. William Van Gorder was a gunsmith for Winchester for some years, and reportedly one of their best. He is a competitive shooter, easy to talk with, and seems quite knowledgeable.

The GSR Facebook page (I'm not a Facebook user, but I look) is loaded with pictures of his work. It's quite impressive. More impressive is handling some of the guns he's worked on.

I'm happy to have my Colt rejuvenated and to have a new top-notch local gunsmith.

Tall

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice peestola!!!:101010::101010: Hard to beat a Clark gun!
Mr. Art, when I was running the roads to the oilfields out west Clark's shops (at Keithville and then Princeton) were right on my way to work. After learning of his reputation I found myself drooling on his counter tops regularly. Clark's became my 'go-to' smith starting in about '82. Those days are over...and Jim, Sr. and Jim, Jr. have passed.

With your wonderful reputation here I'd love to have you working on my firearms. Alas, you're not close to being on my way to anywhere...and I just don't travel like I used to.

Big Will at GSR looks to be my current best option. He seems to be truly talented and dedicated to quality work.

Tall

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
Sadly Mr. Jim Sr. Passed but he did pass as a living legend!!!Mr. John Shaw won 3 world IPSC championships with Mr. Clark's guns. I think I would be hard pressed to even sit in his shadow from 10 miles away let alone stand in it!!! I am glad that you have found a good smith to do your work as they are few and far between and getting more so all the time!!!! There is room for us all and many more also. :)

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,598 Posts
Tall, that is a beautiful 1911. I have always loved the meltdown looks.

·
MSGO Court Jester
40,381 Posts
Good looking pistol. I've wanted to have that done to my 1991A1 Compact.

·
Super Moderator
13,469 Posts
I was fortunate enough to handle and shoot this pistol awhile back at the last riverbilly shoot. Its nice. Different, but very nice, and its a shooter. The boy still talks about shooting Tall Boy's FAL's. I'm still saving up for one of those.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts