Mississippi Gun Owners banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,499 Posts
What I used for corrosive ammo cleanup was water. I would boil water in a tea pot and flush the bore and action. Never had a problem.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,499 Posts
Reactions: HerrZnk

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Windex?
Does Windex contain ammonia or vinegar?
The 2 main ingredients are NH3, ammonium hydroxide or ammonia water, and hexoxyethanol. The ammonia water is a base, which is why it has been so commonly recommended for cleaning after using corrosive ammunition, but since the goal is to dissolve salts, enough water will do the job. But of course water + metal introduces another problem, oxidation, so the water has to be removed! Hence boiling hot water - or an ethanol product. Windex has both and while there's still some water left behind the hexoxyethanol with the assumed follow-up of a solvent such as Hoppe's will pretty much get rid of the water.
Sometimes the chemistry degree does come in handy after all.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
How thoroughly do you clean the bore?
Just patches wet with bore cleaner, or start with brass brush?
Never start with a brass brush, bore should be wet first, preferably with bore cleaner. I wet the brush as well. Be sparing with the bore brush, it can wear the barrel as much as firing FMJ projectiles if you're too aggressive with it.

·
Chief cook and bottle washer
4,878 Posts
my Dad would gripe at me about cleaning my hunting guns "too much"

·
Registered
17,471 Posts
Have a decent bottle of 90 proof or better Bourbon. Take a mouthful and spit it down the barrel from the Chamber end, being sure to have a shot glass at the muzzle to catch it. Drink what shows up in de glas. Do dat a few tymes, den poke ya a dry paths trew da boor. ;)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts