Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anybody else cleans their loaded ammo in the tumbler? Getting ready to load some, and noticed that the brass is a little discolored (it's "pre" walnut-mineral spirit-wax media). Planning on cleaning it in again after I load it.

·
MSGO Court Jester
39,588 Posts
Nope, never did. I used a rag with a little naptha on it to do a few at a time by hand. It was more to remove any excess lube than polishing brass.

Reactions: CajunBP and BasMstr

·
Registered
11,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got these out of the tumbler. They spent a little under two hours in corncob media. Didn't quite get everything.
1st Batch.jpg

These are the ones I just put in the tumbler. I plan on leaving them in for about four hours.
223.JPG

·
Registered
11,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shouldn't have to as much discoloration from now on, anywho. Since I switched to the walnut media with the mineral spirits and wax, I've noticed that the brass doesn't seem to get discolored. Plus, I wear gloves anytime I handle the brass now. Keep those pesky fingerprints -- er, skin oils, from discoloring them!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I've never shot at anyone that I thought deserved getting shot with clean bullets. Most of the people I shoot at are bad people who get bullets in whatever condition I happen to have laying around. :)

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,323 Posts
I usually tumble my loaded ammo to get the lube off. If i dont tumble then i just use parts and brake cleaner. Hit them on a towel and roll them around.
Ill try to find a pic to show you what im shooting....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tumbling loaded ammo causing powder to "change" was debunked on arfcom with high magnification pictures of powder before and after hours of tumbling. Multiple powders, no change. Very interesting read if hour Google-fu is working.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
A few years ago I tried to see if a vibrating tumbler was going to effect my loaded ammo. I loaded 100 rounds. 50 were not tumbled and 50 were for over 24 hours. I was using .45 loaded with WST powder. I ran them through a chronograph and didn't see any variation more than a couple of feet per second. I was shooting one magazine letting the pistol cool a bit then a magazine of the other until all were gone.

At least for pistol ammo loaded with ball or flattened ball powder I don't see any problem with tumbling for a couple of hours.

I was using corncob media in a Dillon tumbler.

I should note the pretty didn't make them more accurate.

·
Registered
11,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Loaded some yesterday and this is about as clean as they got before being shot.
Some have already been shot 3 or 4 times so they look lovely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
As long as they work!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts