Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please join us for a CMP Vintage Bolt match at Magnolia Rifle and Pistol Club near Byram on Saturday 10/24. Course of fire is the CMP Course B (50 shots w/ 5 sighters shot at 200 yds). Thanks to Bobby and Squibb's target stand work, we'll be able to use SR targets for the first time in a vintage match and be able to pick up all those fives and sixes we've been missing out on (get it 'missing' LOL...or is it SMDH?).

We'll plan to have rounds downrange at 8:00 a.m. sharp, so please be there by 7:40 to do paperwork and get gear to the line. Any that can make it sooner and help set up are always appreciated as well. The gate is open at 7:00. $10 match fee. Feel free to post here or PM me with any questions. First timers welcome of course (contact me about affidavit requirement). Do not bring rifles to the line until instructed to do so. Chamber flags required. If you don't have one, see me when you arrive.

PS: as this match more than any other could tend to bring out some of the unknown surplus ammo, please be sure of what you are bringing to shoot and that it cycles and shoots well in your rifle.

·
Death is Preferable to Communism.
150 Posts
I should be there.

On a side note, I got my "Home Range" T-shirt and coin today.

·
Old
530 Posts
I can't shoot pistol matches anymore (I was never any good anyway) so I'm looking at something like this. I like the idea of older rifles and steel sights but not really sure what a decent rifle would be for starting out. I'm 60 but in decent shape (except for my left hand...) so kick doesn't really bother me that much and my initial idea was to get a Mosin. After going back and reading a bit it looks like the Mosin might not be such a great idea.

What would be a decent vintage bolt rifle that won't break the bank? or better yet, what to avoid. Looking at an Yugo M48... Does that qualify?

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
385 Posts
I can't shoot pistol matches anymore (I was never any good anyway) so I'm looking at something like this. I like the idea of older rifles and steel sights but not really sure what a decent rifle would be for starting out. I'm 60 but in decent shape (except for my left hand...) so kick doesn't really bother me that much and my initial idea was to get a Mosin. After going back and reading a bit it looks like the Mosin might not be such a great idea.

What would be a decent vintage bolt rifle that won't break the bank? or better yet, what to avoid. Looking at an Yugo M48... Does that qualify?

Thanks,
Dennis
If you want accuracy go with a m96 swede or swiss k31. 1903 Springfields are also a good option if you dont mind the recoil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts