Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up a few weeks a ago. SN makes is a 1995 Gold Cup National Match. But... I have another 70 series GCNM, and it has a NM slide, NM barrel, and target sights. Did they change slides to what’s on here now for the 80 series, or ones made in the 90s? Figured I’d ask the MSGO experts on this one. Also, if it ends up on the sale page, what would be a good and fair asking price? Thanks for any info you can give. 84A262E3-C135-465E-88AA-AC48F69A2F39.jpeg 8CA71944-E0C7-4DBE-9D84-EEAAC3A1FF6D.jpeg E6DD059F-C0EF-45FD-8FF6-2385AEE76E24.jpeg 17EADD42-5C26-417C-A7A7-97C99A8DE6B8.jpeg

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
I'd have to say somebody built a carry gun on a Gold Cup frame if the serial # says its a GC. Should be a nice shooter, but I wouldn't expect it to shoot tiny groups in the X-ring at 50 yards. I guess it is possible that Colt built some standard Series 80 guns using GC numbered frames.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The lack of NM parts and arched mainspring lead me to believe that is is exactly as @Vick stated.
See the attached books for more info.

Attachments

·
MSGO Court Jester
40,216 Posts
Somebody is going to be very envious. @Cliff731

·
Be nice, or at least, be honest...and DOL
955 Posts
Just a thought, but if it was originally one of the .38 Super guns they did for US .38 Super fans and for Mexico (a .38 Super, since it isn't a "military round," is much easier to own in Mexico, which is why so many wind up down there), someone may have wanted a .45 top for it and this is what they chose and then, somehow, the .38 top got separated. I've seen all sorts of things like that, particularly with .22 conversion kits. For example, granddad keeps the .22 kit on it for plinking and the .45 top in the conversion kit box. But then he passes away with the parts swapped. The frame and kit get sold as "a gun" and the box with the kit gets sold as "gun parts." Any history at all on the gun? Best as I recall, they sold "GCNM" .38 Supers under more than one name - "Super Target," etc. - but I don't know any specific dates or SN ranges. I'd guess there is SN info on the web, but ???

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a thought, but if it was originally one of the .38 Super guns they did for US .38 Super fans and for Mexico (a .38 Super, since it isn't a "military round," is much easier to own in Mexico, which is why so many wind up down there), someone may have wanted a .45 top for it and this is what they chose and then, somehow, the .38 top got separated. I've seen all sorts of things like that, particularly with .22 conversion kits. For example, granddad keeps the .22 kit on it for plinking and the .45 top in the conversion kit box. But then he passes away with the parts swapped. The frame and kit get sold as "a gun" and the box with the kit gets sold as "gun parts." Any history at all on the gun? Best as I recall, they sold "GCNM" .38 Supers under more than one name - "Super Target," etc. - but I don't know any specific dates or SN ranges. I'd guess there is SN info on the web, but ???
The only history I know of is that it came from Puerto Rico.

·
955 Posts
The only history I know of is that it came from Puerto Rico.
I'm not asking you post the full serial, but you said that the serial number "makes it...," what did you use to determine that? I _think_ some of the .38 Super guns had their own serial numbers and some did not - what are the prefix and suffix letters on yours?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not asking you post the full serial, but you said that the serial number "makes it...," what did you use to determine that? I _think_ some of the .38 Super guns had their own serial numbers and some did not - what are the prefix and suffix letters on yours?
SN17063E, and is visible in the photos. I looked it up on Colt’s website.

·
955 Posts
SN17063E, and is visible in the photos. I looked it up on Colt’s website.
I think that just shows year and generic model. I don't see anything in the prefix or suffix that immediately jumps out at me other than I think "E" meant "enhanced" and I'm not sure what qualified as "enhanced," but it's midnight and I'm worn out, so...

I'd call Colt to see what they might tell you about it. If you do call, it would be neat to hear what you learn.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I was looking on GB to try to find out what original grips were on it, and found this for sale.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/855414287 Very similar to mine, but in the ad it states "Colt Government Model MK IV Series 80 Enhanced, high polish stainless steel. Enhanced features include: Flat-topped slide with a plain rib and angled Gold Cup-styled cocking serrations, narrow-hood Gold Cup-style barrel, undercut front strap below the trigger guard, oval-cut round hammer and flat "duckbill" style grip safety, 3-dot high-profile sights, beveled magazine well, lowered and flared ejection port, pebbled rubber wraparound grips"

My slide has the lowered and flared ejection port, so maybe it is the correct slide for this frame from the factory?!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Kevin- see the pics of mine. I hope that this will help with any confusion. ...Brian

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts