Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
19,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colt getting back into the civilian market again.

"Just nine months after the historic AR-15 maker signaled a curb in selling the rifle through consumer channels, Colt says they are now back on the market."

·
Seeker of wisdom & Purveyor of the truth!
600 Posts
Talking about AR's and I am sure most members here can confer, I am seeing a wide variety on new buyers in the shops now, most looking at AR/AK, some coming in just to be a box of 7.62 or 223 very specific rounds. Even in remotely located guns shops, I understand that many Americans are on edge and I celebrate the idea of all Americans exercising their 2nd amendment rights but looking at some of them I wonder if it's for offense and not defense. Its pays to be a tad paranoid and I hope that is all it is, either way the more people that own the more people fighting for 2A rights.

·
Premium Member
11,968 Posts
🖕colt and their 🐴. I don’t need a thing from them and their isn’t crap any better about them than any decent built AR. Doesn’t matter to me if it’s an Aero or Anderson lower it’s built on......it’ll probably be the same stuff as the colt. Just definitely different roll marks.
Fellas up the road from me machine thousands of lowers and the head man told me you’d be really surprised at the different places they sell to that are buying off the same batch of forgings.
A company like that turns its back on regular consumer should stick with that decision and suffer the consequences. Don’t crawfish now pecker heads! Keep selling those evil rifles to the military.......go broke like good little minions.

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
🖕colt and their 🐴. I don’t need a thing from them and their isn’t crap any better about them than any decent built AR. Doesn’t matter to me if it’s an Aero or Anderson lower it’s built on......it’ll probably be the same stuff as the colt. Just definitely different roll marks.
Fellas up the road from me machine thousands of lowers and the head man told me you’d be really surprised at the different places they sell to that are buying off the same batch of forgings.
A company like that turns its back on regular consumer should stick with that decision and suffer the consequences. Don’t crawfish now pecker heads! Keep selling those evil rifles to the military.......go broke like good little minions.
There are only a handful of forges that make lowers, the raw forges get machined by/for the companies and roll marked at that point. Many high end lowers started life in the same forge as the poverty pony but they get cool looking roll marks like pirates and skulls and such. Obviously they are worth $100-150 more just for that.

Here is a list i found of several manufacturers and what forgings they use, may also use others as well.
Rock River - Cardinal forge
Delton - Cerro forge, square
DPMS - Cerro
Spikes Tactical - Cerro
Stag - Cardinal, Cerro
LWRC- splintered A
Knight’s Armament - Cerro (keyhole)
Wilson Combat - splintered A
Smith &Wesson - Cerro
Daniel Defense - Cerro
Remington - Cerro
BCM - Cerro, square
Bushmaster - Cerro
Stag - splintered A, Cardinal
CMMG - Cerro
Colt M4 - Cerro (C keyhole), square, Cardinal (“C“ bird‘s head), C AF
Anderson - Cerro (keyhole)
Aero - splintered A, Cero (keyhole)

Now the machining and tolerance is what makes the difference but I have never seen enough difference between a $40 lower and a $200 lower to justify the expense.

A list i found of what companies do the machining for each brand.

Lewis Machine & Tool makes:
LMT
Lauer
DS Arms
Eagle
Armalite
Knights Armament
Barrett

Continental Machine Tool makes:
Stag
Rock River Arms
High Standard
Noveske
Century (New)
Global Tactical
CLE
S&W
MGI
Wilson Tactical
Grenadier Precision
Colt

LAR Manufacturing makes:
LAR
Bushmaster
Ameetec
DPMS
CMMG
Double Star
Fulton Armory
Spike's Tactical

JVP makes:
Double Star
LRB
Charles Daly

Mega Machine Shop makes:
Mega
GSE
Dalphon
POF
Alexander Arms
War Sport
Legion

Olympic makes:
Olympic
SGW
Tromix
Dalphon
Frankford
Century (Old)

Superior makes:
Superior
Lauer (New)

Aero Precision makes:
Aero Precision
Surplus Ammo & Arms
PSA

Anderson machines their own and possibly for others as well.

Smith and Wesson lowers use Cerro forgings and are made by Contenental Machine Tooling the same place and using some of the same forgings Colt uses. Now its funny how some of these command higher prices than others made on the same forge and same company doing the machining.

·
Premium Member
11,968 Posts
There are only a handful of forges that make lowers, the raw forges get machined by/for the companies and roll marked at that point. Many high end lowers started life in the same forge as the poverty pony but they get cool looking roll marks like pirates and skulls and such. Obviously they are worth $100-150 more just for that.

Here is a list i found of several manufacturers and what forgings they use, may also use others as well.
Rock River - Cardinal forge
Delton - Cerro forge, square
DPMS - Cerro
Spikes Tactical - Cerro
Stag - Cardinal, Cerro
LWRC- splintered A
Knight’s Armament - Cerro (keyhole)
Wilson Combat - splintered A
Smith &Wesson - Cerro
Daniel Defense - Cerro
Remington - Cerro
BCM - Cerro, square
Bushmaster - Cerro
Stag - splintered A, Cardinal
CMMG - Cerro
Colt M4 - Cerro (C keyhole), square, Cardinal (“C“ bird‘s head), C AF
Anderson - Cerro (keyhole)
Aero - splintered A, Cero (keyhole)

Now the machining and tolerance is what makes the difference but I have never seen enough difference between a $40 lower and a $200 lower to justify the expense.

A list i found of what companies do the machining for each brand.

Lewis Machine & Tool makes:
LMT
Lauer
DS Arms
Eagle
Armalite
Knights Armament
Barrett

Continental Machine Tool makes:
Stag
Rock River Arms
High Standard
Noveske
Century (New)
Global Tactical
CLE
S&W
MGI
Wilson Tactical
Grenadier Precision
Colt

LAR Manufacturing makes:
LAR
Bushmaster
Ameetec
DPMS
CMMG
Double Star
Fulton Armory
Spike's Tactical

JVP makes:
Double Star
LRB
Charles Daly

Mega Machine Shop makes:
Mega
GSE
Dalphon
POF
Alexander Arms
War Sport
Legion

Olympic makes:
Olympic
SGW
Tromix
Dalphon
Frankford
Century (Old)

Superior makes:
Superior
Lauer (New)

Aero Precision makes:
Aero Precision
Surplus Ammo & Arms
PSA

Anderson machines their own and possibly for others as well.

Smith and Wesson lowers use Cerro forgings and are made by Contenental Machine Tooling the same place and using some of the same forgings Colt uses. Now its funny how some of these command higher prices than others made on the same forge and same company doing the machining.

I’ll ride over on my lunch tomorrow and snap a few pictures.

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
There's another guy in MS around columbia that does them i dont know his company name but i think his name is Jennings. He also makes suppressors and i believe he actually did a lot of the redjacket stuff they claimed on the tv show.

View attachment 231322
I’ll ride over on my lunch tomorrow and snap a few pictures.
I worry about the pictures you might snap, but if its a machine shop we might be ok.

·
Premium Member
11,968 Posts
There's another guy in MS that does them i dont know his company name but i think his name is Jennings. He actually did most of the redjacket stuff they claimed on the tv show.
These guys have only been at it for the last 3/4years. They are good though,I’ve built several lowers from them and have had zero issues.

·
Premium Member
11,968 Posts
There's another guy in MS that does them i dont know his company name but i think his name is Jennings. He also makes suppressors and i believe he actually did most of the redjacket stuff they claimed on the tv show.

I worry about the pictures you might snap, but if its a machine shop we might be ok.
I’ll send you whatever you wish home fry! Lol👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Watching with interest but frankly have what we need. I can't carry / shoot more than 1 at a time, putting my $ elsewhere (mainly ammunition) nowadays anyhow. I still remember a friend asking me as I was about to buy a 4th "Rifle CAL. .30, M1" 'why you gonna do that? You got 3 that shoot 10s. How many you gonna carry & shoot at a time?"
Hmmm
Like I said, ammunition now. Have enough M4geries and a couple of match-grade ARs. Good luck Colt, whoever you are (new owners).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts