close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Concealed vs. Open carry

Discussion in 'Mississippi Concealed Carry' started by jimmyj321, Jul 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. senilking

senilking Distinguished Poster

Pontotoc
    I don't have a problem wondering if it's safe for someone to carry a gun as long as you recognize that the person in question has a right to carry a gun. The second amendment isn't about making us safer (which it does generally), it's about proclaiming the God given right that all people have a right to own and carry a gun. The main two reasons why the right is good is deterrent and defense, whether against idiots wanting your money, or idiot government wanting your money, but the right isn't there because of the reasons or because of the amendment. The right is mentioned because it already existed.

Showing someone your gun isn't necessarily bad, but it can be done in a dangerous way, and it is generally frowned up in public today. 100 years ago no one would have likely batted an eye, and a lot of places it's still normal. Some people just don't have a good upbringing.

My first shot changes depending on the situation, but it actually sits at rat shot most of the time today. Easier to get a good tag on a snake or wild dog. When I think two legged predators are more likely, I move over one to HP. I would try my best to convince someone not to carry rat shot all the time due to collateral damage, but it's still their life. My breath would be much more useful trying to convince people not to text and drive since I'm much more likely to encounter a bad situation due to that.

2. Q-Tip

Q-Tip Distinguished Poster

Do whatever you want. I think it would help public perception if a lot of squared-away looking gun owners OC'd on a regular basis. The whole notion of being taken out first in a robbery is a fantasy that has never happened in the real world. You could be targeted but you're much more likely to be a deterrent. Frequent fast food meals are far more detrimental to your health than your method of carrying your handgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TigerTactical

TigerTactical Distinguished Poster

Unholstering a loaded weapon for show and tell is totally ignorant. Yes please quote my thoughts to your friends.
    Now as to your original question. It depends partly on the weapon parameters and type of weapon. I OC 99% of the time. I do that because I carry a 1911 in condition 1. I don't care for clothing getting around my safety, which I constantly check. It's slightly quicker to draw from OC. I personally have zero feelings for what comfort level folks have for my open carry cause if the poop hits the fan they will be glad this determined old man is there.
    Decide what works for you tactically. Choose some folks to hang with that don't do stupid crap like loaded gun show and tell. That leads to a bad wrap for us all.
    I recently had a fellow muzzle sweep me with a loaded gun in an effort to show and tell. I can tell you he got an education in responsive serious anger that poop ain't funny. He was even stupid enough to tell me I did not carry enough rounds. So I showed him the 4 10 round mags of 220gr +P that are always in my front pockets and he got up and left. Those folks with that mindset need education. None of it is about showing off, it's about training and readiness.

4. You're responding to the wind, as that is where the OP went. He hasn't been here in months.

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  5. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

Zombie thread....

...but I’ll play. I OC while doing work around the house and during the subsequent chores that go along with it, in town, but I CC at all other times. I think it’s a tactical advantage but I do believe we’d live in a more civilized world if a lot of folks open carried.

6. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

There has been a lot of discussion on this before, but, once again, I'll say that I carry concealed generally because, in a defensive situation, I want the other guy to be surprised that I'm armed. Hopefully, the first time he realized I'm armed will be when the bullet hits him in the chest...I won't draw unless I think shooting is needed.

7. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

This is one of those "before" discussions. It's a year or so old. Someone just dug it up from the depths.

8. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

Ah...I didn't look at the dates! :( Or notice that I had replied before...glad my answer was about the same. ;)

Jarhead5811 and jakeg823 like this.
  9. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

Up in Tupelo this morning - wife had appt. w/ doctor. Given the events of the last 36 hours (Vegas), I was curious if anything had changed. We usually will have lunch or breakfast while there, and do a little shopping. Didn't see anything different at the places we stopped in at. No additional "no guns" signs, no demonstrations, a couple folks printing in Sam's and one open carrier in Wallyworld, pretty much any normal day. I was carrying my 9E IWB, and wearing my USMC hat. Did get a lot of smiles from young women, but that's not unusual. ;)

10. Jarhead5811

I’ve done the same thing before, in other zombie threads, and was pleased to see that I had already made my case and that my opinion hadn’t changed.

Q-Tip and rigrat like this.
  11. Jarhead5811

Funny, I just looked and saw that I had already posted in this thread, as well. :p

12. Jarhead5811

You probably remind them of their granddaddy. :p

LeansVeryRight2016 and rigrat like this.
  13. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

If that is the case I need to get my Colt Officers out of the safe. Yeh since I am over 60 I noticed more of the young women smiled. Must look harmless with the white beard or I remind them of Santa.

Jarhead5811 and fordpkup like this.
  14. DEADEYE 1

Talking about the young women smiling; you ain,t going to believe what happened to me today. I am expecting a gun stock to come in. Well a delivery truck stops in the driveway. I saw it though the window in my kitchen. I went on out there since some of them are afraid of my dogs. I went out to the truck and there was a new blonde driving. She talked to me about 10 minutes. As I was walking away, she said I will be seeing you later.
    Its gotta be the Santa thing. Do I feel lucky, sure I do.:D

15. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

16. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

Be careful. You might bite off more than you can chew. :lol3:

17. DEADEYE 1

Made my day, Plus I got my stock for a High Standard shotgun, prefinished for less than 60 dollars. Sorry for hijacking the thread. If I continue to stay by myself with my dogs, I may have 15 more years. If I get a girlfriend 20 years younger, maybe 4 more years.:)
    Now back to regular broadcasting.

Jarhead5811 and fordpkup like this.