Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copper ( and therefore Brass) are essential for 99% of all ammo, as we know. Well it's about to get real tight and real expensive. If you haven't been conserving what you've got (factory or for reloading) I suggest you do. Until I see some light at the end of this tunnel I've decided to suspend all shooting that isn't absolutely necessary. And by that I mean if it ain't breathing and causing me a problem, it don't get a bullet.

Screen grab:

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,852 Posts
Yeah who wrote that , ie what source did that come from and how reliable are they. There has been allot of covid speculation and projected shortages. Some happened some haven't some caused by hording and some by corporations increasing their profit margin.

Reactions: infosponge

·
Registered
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah who wrote that , ie what source did that come from and how reliable are they. There has been allot of covid speculation and projected shortages. Some happened some haven't some caused by hording and some by corporations increasing their profit margin.
It's all over the financial news. Just google copper shortage/supply or similar.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts

·
Registered
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

A couple more sources.
Copper is a very interesting mineral with an interesting 10,000 year history. It's essential to all living organisms as well as having innumerable other uses. The adult human body contains between 1.4 and 2.1 mg of copper per kilogram of body weight. But don't worry, it's much less controversial to dig it out of the ground. ;)

·
Registered
756 Posts
There goes the Lincoln penny!!!! They've been talking about the cost to make it anyway the last few years.....

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
There goes the Lincoln penny!!!! They've been talking about the cost to make it anyway the last few years.....
They stopped using a predominantly copper mix for pennies in '82. Current pennies have just a 0.5% copper coating. Prior to '82 they were around 95% copper.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The last time scrap copper was high, I remember reading that they were stealing wire from houses being built, empty houses, and air conditioners for the scrap. I believe they passed a law that you needed to prove where you got the copper from at the scrap yard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The last time I took copper to the scrap yard, I was told the minimum was 10lbs. for an individual. This precluded anyone from yanking out an armload of plumbing or a downspout, just to get a few bucks. Also you have to produce a picture ID, have your picture taken, then wait a week or ten days for a check. I think professional plumbers and A/C technicians get a waive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts