Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Cowboy Action Shooting - Mendenhall, MS - 20 NOV 21

3K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  rig 
#1 ·
The Mississippi Peacemakers will be shooting five Cowboy Action Shooting stages this Saturday, 20 November.

Registration opens at 0800 and shooting starts at 0900.

Weather should be nice. Low of 36°F Friday night. Clear and sunny Saturday with a high of 66°F.

Spectators are welcome - eye protection mandatory, hearing protection recommended.

#11 ·
I also noticed most of the competitors don't have SASS numbers. Why is that?

We just started using a new scoring program and we are having to put the information in individually. If I had the SASS number available I entered it.

It is not a retirement to be a SASS member to shoot locally. It is only a requirement to be a member to shoot at State level and above matches. That said, if you don't join and register your alias you may lose it. Also, if you don't maintain your membership you can lose your alias. Your SASS number is always yours but your alias is open to anyone if you don't maintain membership.

I can tell you that at least 10 of the shooters without a SASS number on this form do have valid memberships, I just haven't put the information in the scoring program.

#13 ·
Great day for shooting and had allot of fun. Can't wait to get back out there and shoot again. I've got allot of practice to do before then. Along with smoothing out my lever gun and learning to stuff 12 gauge shells faster. ;):ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Twang
#14 ·
@rigrat you did great! My other buddy shooting a match for the first time said he was still shaking when loading for the 3rd stage.

Now that you've seen how other shooters approach the stages and handle their firearms you have a better idea of how to practice while at home. If you have questions or concerns, hit me up here or on the SASS Wire.

#16 ·
There's only a couple categories I recognize.

FC = frontiersman catridge
LSS = Lady silver senior
LD = Lady Duelist
ES = Elder Statesman

what are ?
CO
WR
CB
FH
FO
BW
GU
GR

#19 ·
There's only a couple categories I recognize.

FC = frontiersman catridge
LSS = Lady silver senior
LD = Lady Duelist
ES = Elder Statesman

what are ?
CO
WR
CB
FH
FO
BW
GU
GR
CO = Cowboy
WR = Wrangler
CB = Cattle Baron
FH = ??? SH = Shootist, which is a local category. Whoever finishes in the top 5, regardless of their "official" category will compete in the shootist category the following month. As that is a local category, if you are competing as a shootist you can shoot with any shooting style (2-handed/traditional, duelist, double-duelist or gunfighter).
FO = Forty Niner
BW = B-Western
GU = Gunfighter
GR = Greenhorn (any shooter shooting for the first time)

#21 ·
I have used or seen used three different electronic scoring programs since I started and each use different abbreviations for different categories.

I have seen the forty-niner category abbreviated as FO, FN and 49.
I have also seen frontiersman abbreviated as FN and FR.
I have seen cowboy abbreviated as CO and CB.
I have seen gunfighter abbreviated as GU and GF.

Sometimes it just doesn't make sense.

#23 ·
For those of you that are in the south MS area there is going to be a Cowboy match Saturday December 4th at Coast Rifle and Pistol Club in D’Iberville. Registration starts at 8:00, hammers go down at 9:00. You don’t have to be a member of SASS or the club to come out and have some fun.

#26 ·
I'll probably go watch. Can't shoot, though. All I have are a couple cap & ball revolvers, and a cartridge conversion revolver. No eligible rifle or shotty yet. Hopefully one day soon . . . . I guess I shouldn't have sold you that Rossi 92 rifle that Ellis has now, LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.