Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
I shot cowboy action competition for several years and I am impressed. That kid is fast.
A slicked up ‘73 is smooth as butter. I know because I have one and my son shoots a ‘92 that ain’t no slouch either. If you are not impressed by a 10.51 second stage, you don’t know anything about cowboy action competition. Give it a try it’s really fun.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,096 Posts
I shot cowboy action competition for several years and I am impressed. That kid is fast.
A slicked up ‘73 is smooth as butter. I know because I have one and my son shoots a ‘92 that ain’t no slouch either. If you are not impressed by a 10.51 second stage, you don’t know anything about cowboy action competition. Give it a try it’s really fun.
I agree with you that kid is good , very good in my eyes. Not only can he shoot the fire out of that carbine he handles thumb busting those six shooter very well also. And lets not forget how he fired two rounds from that shotty and basically threw two more rounds in it and fired again. I wouldn't want to be at the other end of his guns thats for sure.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Years ago I had a long conversation with a friend about the best post-SHTF firearms. Understand that these wouldn't necessarily be the best combat pistols, but firearms that could be expected to last for years and decades with little maintenance and little probability of breaking and needing parts - or if they did need parts, you could probably fabricate them in a modest shop.

He listed Glocks and a Garand for his rifle and I couldn't say those were horrible choices, but I chose two revolvers - even though I'm partial to 1911s and other semi handguns - one was a "cowboy" gun. For a sidearm, I picked either a Ruger GP100 in .357 or a Ruger New Model Blackhawk (also in .357). For my rifle I picked a Spanish FR8 in 7.62 NATO (a carbine built on a basic Mauser M98 action).

Single-action revolvers aren't my first choice for a defensive firearm, but guys who are good with them can be amazingly quick and accurate and are easily better with them than casual shooters who use common semi-autos. I'm not suggesting that I'm all that good, but on my worst day a single-action beats 'ell out of throwing rocks!

Best regards
Doc

1 - 20 of 21 Posts