Crossbow/Compound Bow

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness/Self Sufficiency' started by sand_man, Oct 13, 2017.

1. sand_man

sand_man Grouchy Old Fart MSGO Supporter

Would you concider one of these as an addition to your home/self defense plans?

2. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Re-curve for me. Very little experience with a cross bow or a compound.

3. patchz

patchz Court Jester

Never fooled with a crossbow but shot a recurve as a kid and had four different compounds. Compounds are easier because of the letoff and allow you to hold the draw longer for the same weight bows. I was shooting an 82# compound when my back made me quit. I miss shooting them.

But, as a defensive weapon, not so much. Good to know that have one for hunting purposes is shtf though.

tWillis and fordpkup like this.
  4. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

Absolutely not. I hunt with a crossbow now and used to hunt with a compound bow. Firstly, the crossbow is out because it is V-E-R-Y S-L-O-W to load. Bad guy would have done robbed you and gone to McDonalds by the time you could get it out, load it, and shoot. Secondly, an arrow (even one as lethal as a hunting broadhead) is far too slow acting to be useful in a defense situation. It isn't like in the movies where the Injun shoots the cowboy and he drops dead. Look at bow-hunting videos on YouTube. Even a very well placed shot on a deer will result in the deer normally taking several minutes to bleed out enough to drop.

5. Xd357

Xd357 Moderator Staff Member

Bolton
    What he said^^^^

6. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

As a addition; definitely, my 8 yr old granddaughter could shoot it if needed. No way my wife could shoot a Bow.. cross bow- put X hairs on, pull trigger.

7. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

But, could she cock it? It takes some pretty serious muscles to cock any crossbow of decent strength. Some do have crank-type cocking mechanisms but those are even slower to use than a pull-type.

8. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

True, but she's not pulling back my compound either. 2/3 less draw length, even let off would be difficult #to hold , we're not talking rapid fire & at least I'm not, but a backup to backup. :hmm:.
    Not to mention, compound sight is not easy to pick up & use someone elses, too many variables, my cross bow with Hawkeye scope, place cross hair and fire.