Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been trying to reload a few 06 bullets.. The first one was fine just too long.. So I lowered the seater and then it started crushing the brass right at the shoulder.. I thought maybe I am using too much powder so I reduced the load and tried several more. It seems I can't get the lenght of the bullet to where I want it with out it crushing and bulging out the case.. I am using a lyman die set on a RCBS press and shell holder.. Any ideas what the issue is.. The book says the case length should be 3.34.. But I was trying to get mine down to the same length as some of the factory loads I have which are shorter than 3.34.. Just keeps crusing the case.

·
Premium Member
21,644 Posts
1) You are using the bullet seater die for this step?

2) If so, you need to adjust your die - you are pushing the case too far up into the die ... screw the die "up" a little into the press and adjust our seating plug in the die down a little more ....

Not being there - this is what came to mind ...

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,310 Posts
same as what capt'n said...

Sounds like you have the seating die to low which is trying to crimp the brass but its too low so it buldges, been there done that.

Raise the die 2 turns and start over :cheers:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bingo Captn.. That worked like a charm....

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
The way that I set up the seating die is like this:
Assuming all of your shellcases are close to the same length, I put one in the press and run it up to full stroke. Then I screw the seating die in until I feel it hit the shellcase. Then, since I dont want a crimp, I back it out about a quarter to a half turn. Then i work the press one stroke to see if the shellcase is hitting the die. If not, I then back out the seater stem, put a bullet in the case, and start adjusting the stem until desired depth is reached.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts