Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a sample of stuff I build for fun. This one is a .280 Ackley with and has consistently performed at sub-1/2 MOA. It shoots everything from 130 grain Speer to 180 grain Berger (it's favorite). I know some of you do similar things. Anybody care to share photos or tales of your gun building exploits?
20191111_210331.jpg
20191111_210517.jpg
20191111_210500.jpg
20191111_210419.jpg

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I first put a Shilen Select Match 308 Match chambered barrel on that action and had it in original stock that I painted. Then put it in a Boyd's AT-One (don't waste your money!). It shot good, but not to the level of accuracy it does now. That is a Criterion barrel, and all I will use from now on unless chambering I need isn't available, then I'll go McGowen. It just takes 6 -8 weeks for McGowen to get one done.

I found a source for threaded bolt handles for these actions and used a Badger tactical knob. Had to be picky on the knob because the angle the bolt handle makes on these is sharp, and I ran into trouble with some I tried with the factory stock. Not enough room. Knob ended up touching the stock, so it hid very well from my grasp, which defeated the entire purpose of having an oversized knob. A spring kit takes these triggers down to 1.5 lbs for under $20. Many folk curse these triggers, but it's essentially just a 2-stage system, and there really isn't any creep or grittiness in the 2nd stage. I have fell victim to pulling shots off due to stiff trigger pulls before, so all my hunting rifles sport light triggers. Some under a pound.

This barrel measures 0.685"@26". Because of the lug system on these actions, bedding isn't necessary unless you have daylight around the sides of the action between it and the stock and want to tighten that up.

·
Premium Member
6,229 Posts
I want to build a couple more rifles. Problem when doing repair on regular everyday hunting guns; makes it hard for me to make time for playing on my own rifles. After hunting season I plan on making another shooting range on my land.
I sighted in a Thompson Center Pro Hunter 7mm-08 with a stock stainless fluted barrel, 26 or 28 inches. First shot did not even hit the target. After adjusting the Zeiss 50mm scope, I shot a 3/8 inch group with 2 shots in the same hole, cutting the hole a little larger.
I plan on playing with my own encore pro hunter and see if I can duplicate a tight group. I also have a older Remington VLS 7mm-08 with a 26 inch barrel that I want to play with. I bought the gun from a policeman several years back. I think he practiced with it for sniper/tactical shooting. If it shoots good I will leave that barrel alone.
I have a bland Remington 700 ADL 30.06 with a black synthetic stock. I am thinking about rebarreling it. I have the barrel vise and action wrench, all I need to do is decide what caliber and buy a chamber reamer. I have some 308 headspace gauges and some 300 belted magnum headspace gauges. When I get ready to do it, I may ask your advice.
I am thinking about 260 Rem,6.5 Creedmoor, or .264 Rem. Mag.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A 7mm-08 VLS was on my short list for lots of years. Seems price stayed ahead of my ability to pay long enough to get my interest started in building my own stuff. I won't say I wouldn't continue to steal glances at a VLS across a gun counter if I spotted one.
I will put up some pictures of a tactical-style 284 Winchester, which is actually my primary hunting rifle. It spits out 180 grain Bergers at 2945 f/s, and has delivered 1/2" accuracy with 195 grain Bergers. It has a 1:8 twist McGowen super match barrel with a Rem Varmint contour. It does well with 160 grain Accubonds, too.

I have an unfired 700 .300 SAUM Cerakoted barreled action waiting to be bolted into a Stocky's Accu-Block tactical stock. My follower and magazine spring mysteriously came up gone while the floor plate was being Cerakoted, so I had to order replacements for those. Had some cosmetic imperfections around the tang and recoil lug area on the sides of the action with the bedding material that I tried to iron out and decided to leave it alone after I started chipping the paint on the stock. Even though it can't be called a "custom" gun, I'm probably most excited about it. Love those SAUMs and have since they came out. I made 2 wildcats off the 7mm version- a 6mm and a 257 prototype.

Waiting to reassemble a 6.5PRC custom built on a Win 70 push feed after bedding it. Have not been impressed with Bartlein barrels...

And finally, I'm waiting to bed a 6.5x47L on a Savage 10 action. That is going to be a beautiful rifle! Ifvitvshoots as good as it's going to look, it will be a one-holer!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Great lookin rifle brother, I'm puttin 2 together right now a mauser 98 I decided on 308 so my wife can shoot it, and a Remington 700 in 7mm mag I'm not sure if its shot out or not it was a flood gun I rebuilt. If I rebarrel it its gonna be a magnum .

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 7 Mag (and 7mm cartridges in general) have languished since the Creedmoors and PRCs and Noslers showed up. The .28 Nosler is about all anybody cares about in that genre now. And that's a shame because the 7 Rem Mag and 7mm-08 can do things the 6.5 PRC and 6.5 Creedmoor can't. People don't realize the 7mm, along with the .338s are THE most capable ultra long range calibers in existance. The introduction of the 250 grain aluminum tipped Hornady bullets level the playing field somewhat on paper, but I haven't been able to pin down yet how rifles twisted for that bullet will perform with other bullets. And what happens if that bullet is on backorder? Browning is the only factory gun I am aware of that twist a .30 cal barrel capable of stabilizing that pill. Other than that, it's a custom only proposition.

The only drawback to the 7 Mag is it's short neck. Like the 7 WSM, if you try to stick anything heavier than a 150 grain bullet, you're taking up valuable powder space below the case shoulder. The way around that is to have custom chambers cut with long leades. If you don't handload, all you know is that these rounds are superbly accurate. I took a 700P in 7 Mag off the shelf with factory 150 grain Sciroccos and shot out a single ragged hole. 7-08s need no introduction, and the 7x57, 280, and 280AI are all stellar in the accuracy department, and my favorite of all time is the 7mm SAUM. We could go on with several more, but I said all that just to say the 7 Mag is amazing and doesn't get nearly enough credit anymore. Capable of 3400+ f/s with 140 grain bullets having ballistic coefficients well into the .400s that will shoot as flat as a 257 Wby to 500 yards and hit much harder when it gets there.

Give us some photos of the 308 and 7 Mag when you get them done! Good choice, man!

·
Registered
844 Posts
The 7 Mag (and 7mm cartridges in general) have languished since the Creedmoors and PRCs and Noslers showed up. The .28 Nosler is about all anybody cares about in that genre now. And that's a shame because the 7 Rem Mag and 7mm-08 can do things the 6.5 PRC and 6.5 Creedmoor can't. People don't realize the 7mm, along with the .338s are THE most capable ultra long range calibers in existance. The introduction of the 250 grain aluminum tipped Hornady bullets level the playing field somewhat on paper, but I haven't been able to pin down yet how rifles twisted for that bullet will perform with other bullets. And what happens if that bullet is on backorder? Browning is the only factory gun I am aware of that twist a .30 cal barrel capable of stabilizing that pill. Other than that, it's a custom only proposition.

The only drawback to the 7 Mag is it's short neck. Like the 7 WSM, if you try to stick anything heavier than a 150 grain bullet, you're taking up valuable powder space below the case shoulder. The way around that is to have custom chambers cut with long leades. If you don't handload, all you know is that these rounds are superbly accurate. I took a 700P in 7 Mag off the shelf with factory 150 grain Sciroccos and shot out a single ragged hole. 7-08s need no introduction, and the 7x57, 280, and 280AI are all stellar in the accuracy department, and my favorite of all time is the 7mm SAUM. We could go on with several more, but I said all that just to say the 7 Mag is amazing and doesn't get nearly enough credit anymore. Capable of 3400+ f/s with 140 grain bullets having ballistic coefficients well into the .400s that will shoot as flat as a 257 Wby to 500 yards and hit much harder when it gets there.

Give us some photos of the 308 and 7 Mag when you get them done! Good choice, man!
Will definitely be some pics, prolly along the way as well lol I believe I have decided on a brux barrel for the 7mag build.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I created a wildcat out of the 6.5x47 L that wore a Brux, essentially a .22x47 Lapua that I called a .225 Pronghorn. It sold me. Bow my 338 Edge wears one.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Timney Calvin Elite feels great in the big 338, but I fell in love with Trigger Tech. Even the Primary basic model is impressive. I have a Diamond model I've been debating installing in one more wildcat, or putting it in the 300 SAUM I'm finishing up. I've never met a Jewell I didn't like, either... Never used a Canjar or CG, but have never heard a complaint. I looked hard at Elftman before I bought the Calvin Elite and the TT Diamond. I had planned to build 2 Edges. One was to be on a 700 action and one a Mark V. Finally talked myself out of the Mark V.

My problem has been trying to decide on an action for the new cartridge. I had about decided just to get a Stiller Predator and call it good, but have looked closer at the Curtis Axiom and I like what I see. Also will use an AG Composites stock to keep weight down, and I can get it quicker and cheaper than a Manners Elite Hunter or a McMillan Edge. Defiance has a cheaper model action that would probably serve my purpose as well as anything. And then there is the Custom Shop 700 action I have in the closet... Decisions, decisions... lol.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts