Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you value a custom 1903 with a 308 barrel and Monte Carlo Stock that looks a lot like a Remington BDL at first glance?? I don,t have a picture or the gun but my friend does. I would say that it is in good to very good condition, 85 to 90%. Just a ballpark figure, I am thinking as a hunter that I would like to put 250 without a scope. I am guessing that it may be worth much more. The barrel has very good blueing with 22 inch regular contour. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
sounds like it has utilitarian value only. i'd say it's worth what an equally equipped modern rig would run you give or take $50 depending on how bad you want it :)

I bought a sporterized 03a3? 30.06 back in 1998 up in IN for $250 iirc but there is no rifle season there, or wasn't at that time.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is hard to read the writing, I did not have my glasses with me. It looked like some place in California. Sharp looking gun. Someone had failed to clean the barrel inside and had a lot of carbon build-up in front of where the bullet sits in the barrel. I took some Hoppe,s several times, dry patches, then brushes , then more Hoppe,s. I did this for about 20 minutes. Then I ran a bore snake a few times and it looked 95% better. If I owned it, I would soak it in Hoppe,s or Sum Guy lube and clean over several days then shoot and clean. I may be able to trade for it. He says that he is going to keep it but I know him, he is just trying to get me to pay more for it.

Reactions: Mesquite

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
There was a sharp looking one for sale on here a while back, don't remember the price, but I think it was Brother Love who had it.
Ronnie

·
Grouchy Old Fart
23,650 Posts
Custom does not always mean quality. I would look at the gun out of the stock and see how everything looks. Nice finishes could hide a lot of bubba work. If it was done by a previous owner I wouldn't go over $250.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before I buy or trade for it, I will also check the headspace. I noticed that the bolt was kind of stiff when I first examined the gun. But after I cleaned the barrel and chamber the bolt would almost fall, it was so much smoother. Then a little voice told me before you buy or trade for this gun, you need to check the headspace. I bet the friend did not pay more than 150. But before he sells it he will try to get as much money as he can. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
I used to order him parts on my dime, used to clean and polish guns free of charge for him. I have just started charging him for those small things. I told him on this gun after cleaning it inside and out; that will be 25 dollars please.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts