Dealer for black powder

Discussion in 'Mil-Surp/C&R/Black Powder' started by Brother_Love, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Brother_Love

Brother_Love Distinguished Poster

Where can I find black powder in central MS. I’ve tried every shop I can think of and no one handles it.
    Thanks

mascott likes this.
  2. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Good luck, Brother_Love. Ever since Mississippi changed the law regarding Primitive Weapon hunting seasons (allowing .35's, .45-70 single-shots, etc), people are no longer REQUIRED to use black powder weapons. As a result, dealers have stopped carrying not only black powder, but also most black powder accessories.

The last black powder I bought was from a MSGO forum member who shoots black powder weapons exclusively, participates in re-enactments and buys in bulk.

You can order black powder from places like Powder Inc. or Jack's Powder Keg. The only downside is the HazMat fee, plus you must purchase a 5 lb. minimum.

I have heard that Bass Pro Shops in Pearl still carries black powder during the hunting season, but you must track down a manager to retrieve it for you, as it's stored in an outside locker. Since the demand is so low (almost non-existent) most sales clerks aren't even aware that they sell it.

Mesquite likes this.

3. 22lrfan

22lrfan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I haven't found anywhere in MS the carries real black powder. Some carry the black powder substitutes.

rigrat likes this.
  4. Southern Reloading

Southern Reloading Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Brother let me know what you need and I will order it. The reason none of us stock Black powder is it is an "explosive" not "flammable Solid". There are several regulations on storage of more than just a few pounds. Meaning a powder locker. Let me know and I'll see if I can get it.

Randy

phillipd, mascott, BasMstr and 5 others like this.
  5. Soonered

Soonered Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Randy, I'm still looking for some swiss 1.5. Last time you checked you could not get it. If that's changed let me know as I need some.

6. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

What do people who own cannons do for BP?

7. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Around here they used Jack's Powder Keg, which is located in Alexandria, LA. They can go there and pick up, to avoid HazMat shipping . . . or if there's a re-enactment nearby, Jack's usually has a vendor table set up. If you call & order beforehand, he'll bring your order to the re-enactment to avoid shipping/HazMat.

22lrfan and tWillis like this.
  8. Soonered

Buffalo Arms is a good source of powder. If anyone would like to go in on a group by of up to 25 lbs for the total shipment let me know. I'll post something over on the group buy to see if we could get a big enough order (25 lbs) to get the hazemat fee down. I need 5 lbs of Swiss 1.5 but don't want to pay hazmat on just a 5 lbs order.

Black Powder - Buffalo Arms

9. 22lrfan

22lrfan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I'm in for 5 lbs of Goex 2F if we get enough to order.

Soonered likes this.
  10. Ppoole84

Ppoole84 Distinguished Poster

I ordered 5 cases of kik 1f and 1 case of 2f from powder inc a few years back. I 45-110 likes the 1f and kik shot as good as Swiss in the picky 45-110. The other two will shoot about anything but the kik is the best we ran into. It has plenty of graphite on it just like the Swiss. But now that I know randy can get it I’ll keep my business here from now on. I buy the brass from buffalo arms since they have stretched 45-100 and the brass lasts forever.

Mesquite likes this.
  11. Ppoole84

I ordered 5 cases of kik 1f and 1 case of 2f from powder inc a few years back. I 45-110 likes the 1f and kik shot as good as Swiss in the picky 45-110. The other two will shoot about anything but the kik is the best we ran into. It has plenty of graphite on it just like the Swiss. But now that I know randy can get it I’ll keep my business here from now on. I buy the brass from buffalo arms since they have stretched 45-100 and the brass lasts forever.

12. Ppoole84

I give up on the double post thingy

13. Soonered

I checked with Randy and he can't get black powder. Or maybe he just meant swiss but I don't think so.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  14. Doc

Doc Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

15. turable.shot

turable.shot Distinguished Poster

If Bass Pro has what you want, they can ship to Pearl, no Hazmat fee.

I've done it.

beasleydano likes this.
  16. Soonered

I believe they only do substitute, not the real stuff.

17. Ppoole84

I have 15 lbs of scheutzen but my sharps and my fathers don’t like it

18. Ppoole84

19. Soonered

I'm looking for Swiss 1.5 if anybody finds any and wants to get rid of some.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  20. Ppoole84

Haha yeah I wouldn’t part with that my sharps eats that as good as kik.

Soonered likes this.