Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Deaton's Gun cleaner Reviews

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Xd357 
#1 ·
Well went to the Mag this am and shot a few boxes of ammo through my new 700 and first off I love this little rifle. the 20" bull barrel is gonna be a sweet lil hunting rifle.

to the Deatons. I did the semi break in of the new barrel and shot 3 cleaned method and increased after I got bored of cleaning after 3 shots and went to about every 10 or so. the first wet patch with Deatons the patch was BLACK as all get out and nasty. but after a dry patch through it it wasn't as bad but would wet anothere one and run it through again. that stuff will make a barrel shine shine shine. good stuff. now going to clean her up real good and put her up till next time.

anyone else?

#3 ·
I just got through cleaning my rem 700 in .243 and my savage 110 in 30.06. I like it very much it cleaned fast and easy. I just ran two wet patches to get it good and wet, waited a few min than ran some dry patches through it. Ran a real wet one in waited a few than brushed it good. Than patched it dry. Did all that about 3x as these were pretty dirty.

I give it a A+

#6 ·
The only thing that concerns me a little bit with this cleaner is the ammonia...That's why I never liked Sweets for cooper removal...yeah it works but if you screw up with it ....well...

we shall see how this stuff works...Man I wish I had another day off to shoot and break-in the 260 properly....its an all day process..sometimes two days...for me...like sipping fine wine :lol3:

#7 ·
msredneck said:
Got a custom Rem 700 260 Remington to break in

I clean after every shot on break in for first 25 shots...it will be good test for the gun cleaner...when I can get time to do it
I have broke in barrels cleaning after every shot for the first 10 shots and thought that was alot but that's what most gunsmith recommend. With this Deatons cleaning after every shot for 25 rounds would be over kill and a waste of the product. This stuff is strong.

#8 ·
So I finally got some quiet time to clean some barrels with the new Deatons. I decided to clean all 6 6" .357 barrels. The nice thinga about having a DW, is I can remove the barrel form the gun completely so it was just 6 little tubes that I can access perfectly from both ends.

I followed the directions on the bottle. I used a patch to "wet" the insides of the barrel .. one patch for all six barrels, meaning the last few got much less product than the first ones. I used a copper brush (used) as indicated.

Results:
The stuff has a powerful oder, but not has bad as just putting a bottle of pure ammonia up to your nose. The stuff does have some "body" to it.. so more like a jell, like navel jelly. I VERY musch like that about the product. Every barrel produced some "black residue" on patch one, even a brand new barrel (never been fired). So the stuff does indeed do some cleaning. By the offical end of the cleaning, I still had one barrel that just kept producing "dirty" patches. I put it through a second cycle and that pretty much cleaned it up.

I am quite sure this is the cleanest any of my barrels have ever been. Being that I can remove the barrel from the gun, getting the stuff in unintended places is not an issue. However, this stuff is soooo strong, I would be worried if it got on exposed finished for very long. And yes it is noticably caustic to exposed flesh as well... not blisters.. but a light burning sensation... that let me know I needed to really wash my hands when I was done.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: ( three thumbs up)

#9 ·
Most places fire one shot so that's where you'd get the black residue. I am going to clean my auto's first that I can take out the barrels and not worry about anything getting in the inards.

How much do you take out into a little cup to clean one 5-6" 9mm barrel? Is it reusable, taking an empty bottle to pour the leftovers. I would like to use that on something that had a lot of residue, i.e. dirty powder or black powder.

#10 ·
Still aint had time to clean any guns...been buying my daughter a truck...with what ya'll are saying I'm gonna try it on an older pistol or maybe my Mosin Nagant...

Ya'll getting any copper out with it?...all I've seen mentioned is powder fouling

Looks like I'll be cleaning outside again if it has that much ammonia in it.

That's what I always liked about the Gunzilla...no odor...no wife complaining

what do you run down the bore after using the stuff...some rem oil or something...The reason I quit using Sweets is because I was always concerned that I had not gotten it all out

#11 ·
msredneck said:
Still aint had time to clean any guns...been buying my daughter a truck...with what ya'll are saying I'm gonna try it on an older pistol or maybe my Mosin Nagant...

Ya'll getting any copper out with it?...all I've seen mentioned is powder fouling

Looks like I'll be cleaning outside again if it has that much ammonia in it.

That's what I always liked about the Gunzilla...no odor...no wife complaining

what do you run down the bore after using the stuff...some rem oil or something...The reason I quit using Sweets is because I was always concerned that I had not gotten it all out
I mostly shoot lead... so I have little to no copper to remove... green tint to the swabs might mean????

#16 ·
Let me remind everyone that Deaton's has a patent pending because he has developed in his mixture a means to remove copper, lead and carbon in one product. What is also cool about the product is that it will neutralize the effect of the ammonia with lubricants after a short period of time so all you have to do is use a dry patch and wipe it out and it will protect the bore. Even though it smells strong and is strong it is a wonderfully designed product.

I tested this product extensively before I purchased it because I was given some first to try. I cleaned all my guns with three different products so I could make sure they were clean. Then I used the Deaton's in these guns that I knew were clean because I could not get anything else out of them. Was shocked at the black (which is carbon) and the blue (which is copper) that came out of every gun I had cleaned. I truly thought I could not get any of these guns any cleaner than they were but Deaton's proved me wrong.

I have been sold every sense and Deaton's has not let me down. It was marvelous in my break in period with my new 300win Mag. Also, the more I have been using it my groups actually are getting better which is because the barrel is smoothed out and Deaton's also reduces the amount of build up because it seasons and protects the bore after each cleaning.

#18 ·
Beladran said:
I don't accept all that schuemann said because other barrel makers don't completely agree and some reject his thesis of one never cleaning the barrel only shooting. He has some good advice and some that is not. I am one who rejects totally his thesis of not cleaning but only shooting. Simply because of carbon build up and carbon is more my concern than copper because it is not only hard stuff but begins to fill the bore and creates the opposite effect that Schuemann is trying to battle which is the bore becoming to big. There is a balance that needs to be met between cleaning to much and only shooting with no cleaning.

Once my barrel is broke in I only clean it about ever 60 to 100 rounds and I do that when I see the accuracy of my groups begin to open up. Then it is time to remove the carbon. Any nut can clean his barrel to much and any nut can never clean his barrel.

#20 ·
I bought a beater S&W Model 19 yesterday that was very dirty....

Tried the Deatons....He's got a lot of ammonia in there but the smell was not all that bad....

I like that is almost a gel like substance....stays on patch well

I followed the directions....not too bad...still gonna have to break out the lewis lead remover....

I dunno yet...I'm not gonna say I was impressed yet...I'm gonna run a few more and see what happens....

Ran some alcohol then oil through the cyl and bore after using...I don't trust anything with ammonia....U gotta get all that stuff out

will post pics of beater 19 later....Might take it to Birdsong for some Black-T...just for grins

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.