Mississippi Gun Owners banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

· Registered
16,202 Posts
Second year hunting. Got 2 down so far.

Decent doe during bow season with my jeep. Had to put her down with my LCP, as about 50 cars passed by. That was fun, but I got 60lbs of meat off her.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Grille

Grass Plant Groundcover Asphalt Road surface

Also got my first buck on opening day of gun season. He apparently started turning as I shot, because my center shoulder shot turned into about 6” back…couldn’t have been buck fever... Found him about 30yds away in some thick brush. 99% sure I missed the same deer last year, so it was cool to get a second chance.

Plant kangaroo Wallaby Grass Fawn

Deer hunting Hunting Plant Grass Wildlife biologist

Plant Plant community Natural environment Terrestrial plant Natural landscape

· Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Little button buck, thought it was a doe. Dropped him right where i shot him this afternoon underwood controlled chaos 7.62x39 at about 80-100 yards. View attachment 322136
Same thing for me this morning. Shot what I thought was about a 100 lbs doe I'm going to make into breakfast sausage. But, turned out to be a button buck. Breakfast sausage just the same.

· Premium Member
4,423 Posts
They should be running pretty good right now!

J.B.
We’ve been seeing chase for 3 weekends now in Simpson County.
The buck I took yesterday was following a doe but not chasing per say more of a you lead the way thing. His neck was swollen up and his glands on his legs were wet and stinking out loud for sure. If it hasn't started it's about to.

LB

· Registered
2,969 Posts
The buck I took yesterday was following a doe but not chasing per say more of a you lead the way thing. His neck was swollen up and his glands on his legs were wet and stinking out loud for sure. If it hasn't started it's about to.

LB
We’ve had 5 that were killed in the last 2.5 weeks that reeked and had swollen necks. I was very disappointed Friday when I went and hunted my little honey hole that had 3 buck in it in October and November. The squirrel rut was the only thing I could tell was on from that spot.

· Premium Member
3,857 Posts

LB
I don't like to shoot them when their like that. I can't prove it but it just makes me think it will make the meat tasty funny.

· Premium Member
4,423 Posts
I don't like to shoot them when their like that. I can't prove it but it just makes me think it will make the meat tasty funny.

I've always said a doe eats better than a buck but it's a better story when got some horns to show. Generally here it's after Christmas before they get worked up. I was surprised when I walked up and saw his neck.

LB

41 - 60 of 100 Posts