close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Diatomaceous Earth

Discussion in 'General Off Topic' started by TippersDad, Apr 21, 2016.

1. TippersDad

TippersDad Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Found this while looking for flea control for kittens.

Might be familiar to a lot of you, but I'd never heard of it. OR, all the things it is good for.

This page is just one of many that came up in the search. Anyone use it? Results?

How to Use Diatomaceous Earth | The Prairie Homestead

2. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

Sounds like it is all you need besides water to keep you alive and peak physical condition until the end of time!
    :lol6::lol6::lol6: Eat more dirt!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol2::lol2:

3. maxhush

maxhush Distinguished Poster

NW MS
    I sprinkle it around the doorways outside to keep fleas (and other insects) from coming in under the door (and getting on a cat laying by the door) in the Summer. Once it gets damp it's useless though. Basically, it acts like sand in gears in the joints of many insects and, if it's dry and powdery, and gets up in their joints, then they tear themselves up just by moving. It is unlikely work at all well actually applied to a pet (and may well be a bad idea). That is the theory of its' effects on insects. I do know that some do seem to avoid it.

For kittens, the conventional wisdom is to bathe them in Dawn dishwashing detergent (a fun time for all, I assure you, having done it some years back). Most (all?) standard flea treatments can't be applied to a kitten before they reach a certain age. If you can take a tub of warm water outside and bathe them with Dawn, that keeps the fleas from swarming off and getting in your house. The Dawn also apparently has an effect in water of reducing surface tension and then the insect drowns (seen that before with a beetle swimming around in a dish of water, added a drop of dishwashing liquid and it sunk straight to the bottom and drowned). May well work with fleas that way too (if infested, the kittens head will look like the flea equivalent of the deck of the Titanic as the kitten is washed and they swarm to the non-submerged area).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Cliff731, I'm a Rebel, rigrat and 5 others like this.
  4. Rw

Rw Distinguished Poster

Tip for bathing kittens.. Welding gloves.

5. sand_man

sand_man Grouchy Old Fart MSGO Supporter

If you hold them under water for a couple of minutes they quit fighting!

Blondie70, patchz, Xd357 and 6 others like this.
  6. Leonidas

Leonidas Resident Mushroom (know what they say) MSGO Supporter

LMAO

I got a time out for a similar observation, on another forum.

7. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

I always thought washing machines or dish washers worked just fine.

8. BasMstr

BasMstr Distinguished Poster

Nah, gives em something to hold on to.

9. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I;m sorry, but that was just FUNNY!!!

Blondie70, rigrat, sand_man and 3 others like this.
  10. maxhush

NW MS
    If Sandy's gonna wash yer kittens, be sure to put one of these kitten preservers on each of them first

[​IMG]

Blondie70, Cliff731, patchz and 6 others like this.
  11. Quickeye

Quickeye Vietnam & Persian Gulf Wars MSGO Supporter

There wouldn't be Dynamite without it. (It's mixed with the nitro to make sticks and stabilize it.
    Good read. Glad you posted.:)

BasMstr, TippersDad, maxhush and 3 others like this.
  12. patchz

patchz Court Jester

I knew what it is, I just didn't know it comes in two grades, let alone that one is edible and actually good for you.

13. maxhush

NW MS
    Well, if you liked eating chalk dust as a kid, this is essentially the same stuff.

14. DoyleAlley

Chalk dust is magnesium carbonate (magnesium bicarbonate if you are talking about gym chalk). Diatomaceous Earth is approximately 80% silicon dioxide. Not even remotely related.

15. maxhush

NW MS
    But it's every bit as tasty I'd bet! :D

I was thinking of chalkboard chalk, familiar to every kid who ever had to go clean the erasers.

Take an awful lot o' bacon to make a bowlful of that stuff taste good.

I thought diatomaceous earth was the calcium of shells from long dead former tiny, tiny, sea critters (hence the jaggy edges that give the insects grief in their joints)? Or do those fossilize somehow? Anyway, I'm not pulling myself up to a big heaping bowl (or even a spoonful) of either one. Probably take a quart of milk or JD to choke down a teaspoon full of either.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  16. DoyleAlley

My old hunting buddy had a pool business. DE (obviously not the food-grade stuff) is used in some pool filters so he always had easy access to the stuff. I guess now I know why his flower beds always looked so good.

17. Rw

Rw Distinguished Poster

Tractor supply carries a food grade of this, and its not very expensive.

18. maxhush

NW MS
    I've ordered from Amazon before, I'll have to check out TSC.

19. patchz

patchz Court Jester

$13.93 for 2#, $18.40 for 5#, $21.39 for 10 # on Amazon with free shipping with Prime.

20. maxhush

NW MS
    They also sell an applicator device that poofs it out for dusting down an area with it.