Dinner in the Fireplacxe

Discussion in 'Mississippi Cooking Forum' started by namsag, Jan 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. namsag

namsag Distinguished Poster

Tupelo
    Girls were off school today and I was off work so we had a nice roaring toasty fire going all day in the den with a nice bed of coals under the grate.

We do this a few times a year when it's fireplace season. A nice chicken breast quarter for each of us, brushed with olive oil and sprinkled more or less liberally according to taste with Spice World Soul Food Seasoning. Seal in heavy duty foil. A baking potato for each, similarly treated. Shove up under the grate in the bed of coals for about 40 minutes, turn it over halfway through. Man it's good, chicken nice and moist, and both always absorb some of the smoky charbroiled flavor, just right.

We didn't have any corn on the cob or would have done that too. Also works great with beef or pork but you have to be careful. An onion is really good too. A nice, simple, humble dinner that is hard to beat. The first time or two we ever did this, the girls said Ewww we're not eating that. Now, there's no complaining, just a lot of eating.

Give it a try.

Huh. Wouldn't let me edit the title.

2. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Many years ago when I was in the Boy Scouts, we used to make what was called a "Hobo Dinner". Basically each Scout made a foil packet with chunks of potatoes, carrots, onion, and a patty of ground beef on top of the veggies. Season according to taste, seal it up good and place it in the campfire coals. As it cooked, the meat juices would saturate the veggies, and they would cook / steam in the meat juices. Quite tasty.

3. sand_man

sand_man Grouchy Old Fart MSGO Supporter

Went camping many a summer weekend with the scouts and cooked up some of the best food over open fires. Baked apples were my favorite. Slice them up and put some cinnamon red hots in the foil for about 30 minutes and chow down.

Blondie70, TwangBanger and namsag like this.
  4. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

That sounds tasty, Sandy. We never had those in Scouts. Kinda wish I had a fireplace now to try it. Might have to put a fire pit in the backyard.

Blondie70 and Mesquite like this.
  5. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

In my previous house, we had put a high-efficiency wood burning stove insert into the fireplace. It had a much smaller firebox than the original fireplace but the upside is that very little heat was wasted up the chimney - it mostly came back into the room. I decided to prove whether or not I could cook dinner in it. So, I let the fire die down to a set of low coals and pushed them to the back. In went a hobo-wrapped dinner that I flipped after about 15 minutes. Came out just fine. I proved that if the power went out I could cook dinner in there. Too bad the new house only has one of those useless gas fireplaces.

6. namsag

namsag Distinguished Poster

Tupelo
    Yeah as long as we have a fireplace and wood (got plenty) we'll be warm, be able to cook, and have coffee (critical).

I'm gonna try the apple idea soon.

7. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Our old house on ranch had a huge fireplace with iron swing ladle for hanging pots on. Took a LOT of mesquite though.
    At various cow camps & hunting, we'd cook in ground. Lot of times, one of us would have Dutch oven, otherwise, take foil & throw meat, generally few potatoes/carrots, nopolitas & sprinkle chili piquin (That we kept in our Leggings or gear bag).

Blondie70 likes this.