Distances to target for practice...?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting/Area Shoots' started by ER-HI-GU, Mar 28, 2017.

1. ER-HI-GU

ER-HI-GU Distinguished Poster

Would the following setup be good practice for uspsa, multigun and similar...

For pistol no optic; Target is 6" circle; Practice single shot and dbl taps at...
    10'-0"
    25'-0"
    50'-0"

For AR with iron sights; Target is 8.5"x11" paper with a 6" circle; Dbl tap (at least 1 shot in circle)...
    50'-0"
    75'-0"
    150'-0"

Mesquite likes this.
  2. Dr. Benway

Dr. Benway Distinguished Poster

You're thinking way too small. Don't think of USPSA or any other actions shooting sport as shooting double tabs at known distances. Don't get me wrong, accuracy is vital, but it's just a piece of the pie.

bottom line up front, figure out what you suck at and make it a strength. Figure out the big things that need improvement and break them down into small actions that can be individually refined and then combined with other things to improve a larger task.

Thinks you should strive to be great at:
    Shooting quickly AND accurately
    -Target transitions
    -Wide Transitions
    -Narrow transitions
    -varied transitions
    -transitions wide and narrow at various distances
    -recoil management
    -speed
    -accuracy
    -shooting on the move
    -shooting 1 to 6 shots per target quickly and accurately
    -strong hand only
    -weak hand only
    -shooting in weird positions
    -shooting on one leg strong hand only leaning around a wall
    -calling your shots (knowing where the round hit by watching your sights instead of targets)

Magazine changes

Draws

Entering shooting positions

Exiting shooting positions

running

stopping

stage planning
    -memorizing the plan
    -visualizing the plan
    -rehearsing the plan
    -executing the plan

finding the best way to setup up your belt, holster and pouches

dealing with stress

reacting to the timer

dealing with a bad stage

learn the rules

etc

gutdoc, Mesquite, rigrat and 4 others like this.

3. Dr. Benway

And training should be focused, progressive and goal oriented. Otherwise you are spinning your wheels.

gutdoc, Mesquite, rigrat and 4 others like this.
  4. ER-HI-GU

...and I thought i was over thinking it. Thanks for the info.

Mesquite, rigrat, 9d up and 1 other person like this.
  5. 9d up

9d up Clayton Welch

Madison
    man just shoot more matches!

You'll have to do all of that stuff Doc told you to do.

Mesquite and rigrat like this.
  6. ER-HI-GU

Would like to but family and now work are claiming my weekends...

Mesquite and 9d up like this.
  7. Dave

Dave Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Magnolia has Steel matches as well. They tend to be easier to learn but you still need to learn how to do everything Doc has mentioned to be good at it.

When you practice I suggest you do it with a shot timer. This way you will know if you are improving, staying the same or getting worse. After all it is a combination of speed and accuracy. You can't miss fast enough to hit things as quickly as when you hit them on the first shot each time.

I suggest getting involved and try shooting some of these matches. Find out which you prefer to shoot or shoot them all.

Mesquite likes this.
  8. BreaksRackets

BreaksRackets Distinguished Poster

ER-HI-GU,
    Honestly, your practice should be dependant on your goals.

The good Dr. gave you a long term plan to improve all aspects of your shooting.
    9'd up gave you the short version that works if you just want to improve and have fun.
    In my opinion, USPSA requires speed, accuracy, and minimal mistakes/errors.
    3gun is about how quickly you can hit the targets with various weapons.

Both suggestions will help you improve your skill set, but again, it depends on your goals.

Mesquite and rigrat like this.
  9. BreaksRackets

BreaksRackets Distinguished Poster

Just saw your post about limited weekend.

First suggestion, get them kids and family interested in shooting!

Beyond that, take the Doctors advice and find one thing that you aren't good at and focus on improving that.
    There are several books available, Ben Stoeger is a good place to start because his drills involve dryfire and not going to the range. Like Dave suggested, you'll need a timer.
    Build it one piece at a time.

Mesquite, ER-HI-GU and rigrat like this.
  10. Dr. Benway

98% of my suggestions can be learned through dry fire. You can dry fire your way to A class and only hit live fire at matches.

gutdoc, rigrat, Mesquite and 3 others like this.
  11. tha1000

tha1000 Distinguished Poster

This is true

Dr. Benway, rigrat and Mesquite like this.
  12. gutdoc

gutdoc Distinguished Poster

I've never met him, but I followed his advice and drills. using a timer put a competitive factor and a quantitative measure into our practice. Improved my game All Thanks to Nothing!

Dr. Benway likes this.
  13. Myers

Myers Distinguished Poster

Other than getting Stoeger's books, I think 9'ed ups advice is the best. It's extremely easy to get overwhelmed with the minutia of technique in competition shooting. When you're overwhelmed you just end up doing nothing or doing what you are good at. At a minimum, you need to master your basic gun handling skills. Know how to get the gun loaded efficiently, know how to draw and reholster efficiently, and know how to reload the gun efficiently. That can all be accomplished through dry fire. I wouldn't sweat any of the rest at the moment. For that matter, if you go and live fire at the range, I WOULDN'T live fire your competition gun. Go pick something else to shoot. More often than not, people go to the range with no real training plan and just end up doing nothing and wasting ammo. Go to more matches. Get your ass beat. Have people video you, then go home and figure out why you got your ass beat. THEN go to the range with a training plan.