Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a video of Blake Ward and his 5 year-old son Conner on a whitetail deer hunt at South Delta Hunting Club in Onward, MS on 11-22-10. This shot was taken on the largest doe in the far right corner of the frame. The deer was taken with a neck shot at 450 yards with a Dixie Precision 7mm WSM and custom handload with 180gr Berger VLDs.

The video camera used is a Cannon Vixia HF200 High Definition and is on maximum 15x zoom at dusk. You can see the environment becoming darker every minute that passes and there are 3 deer in the food plot when the shot is taken. There are 2 does standing side by side in the far right corner and one standing by herself towards the left. The largest doe is picked out in the far right corner and dropped where she was standing. The front side of this food plot is 435 yards and the back treeline is 465 yards. The food plot closest to you is 200 yards away.

For better clarity, Go 'Fullscreen' then click and choose 720p resolution in the bottom right corner for High Def Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4OGZviY9NY&fmt=22

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It took me awhile to cough up the cash for the Swarovski but Im glad I did. It was the only one I tried that would range a deer-sized target past 1000 yards. My 1500-yd Leupold TBR for example would range deer out to 750. I was able to range my barn with it at 1050 but never got any readings further than that. I read a lot of posts that said the Swaro was the best so I figured "If I cant range it with that then it cant be ranged" :)

Swarovski doesnt make yardage claims in their advertising. There is a new 1600 yard Leica that Im sure will be good also but I cant imagine it going farther than the Swaro. Other than the quality of the optic the key is stability. If ranging past 600 I always mount it on a good tripod.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gonna try to get his first this weekend! Hes shooting a Rem 700 small-frame.243. I took him to the range at Turcotte and he put 5 shots in a 4" group at 100 yds! The target was 8" and he was all around the bullseye. I was proud of him. If given the opportunity I think he could do it! Stay tuned :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.