Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Daisy Pal, Daisy Red Ryder
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says..
Kind of want a 300 BLK pistol, like a 10-10.5”. Had a 7.62x39 10.5 and liked it, but want something I can put some subs in and run suppressed for late night varmit control. I guess I could just put subs in the 762x39, but not much of a bullet selection when you start looking for subs in the rooskie calibers.
Got a 9mm AR pistol that’s currently serving the purpose but it’s not super great with FMJs. Always heard the 300 was developed for Special Forces as a CQ weapon that had more stopping power than an MP5 9mm.
Talk me into it. Or talk me out of it!

·
Registered
873 Posts
If you are willing to accept the ammo cost for the caliber it seems like you have selected the proper caliber for the purpose you intend. But as said above ammo cost and availability will be tough.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not too worried about ammo- I can get the 194gr Lehigh subs from a couple places (In stock as of this moment), and can get plenty of fmjs in stock. Too expensive to just do mag dumps, but plenty cheap to get used to it and do some training. Eventually I’ll reload anyway if primers ever come back reasonable.
I always build my own uppers- not a matter of cost, really, just prefer starting with a bare, white upper and lower (if I can) since I’ll Cerakote it anyway. Probably got a bolt I can use, I’ll have to get a carrier unless I hid one from myself which would explain why I’ve got a couple bolts more than carriers right now.
Eh, what the heck..
What barrels have y’all had good luck with? Twist rate for subs?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have been shooting and loading 300BO for about a year and a half and I must say it is a truly versatile caliber. Being able to make brass from 5.56 or 223 cases was what interested me the most, followed by the quiet level when shooting subsonic loads suppressed. Also, being able to use cast bullets in a lot of different load recipes was a plus. It is WAY more effective than 223 on pigs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never cast any bullets, but kinda sounds interesting.
Too bad we can’t cast small rifle primers!

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Like the title says..
Kind of want a 300 BLK pistol, like a 10-10.5”. Had a 7.62x39 10.5 and liked it, but want something I can put some subs in and run suppressed for late night varmit control. I guess I could just put subs in the 762x39, but not much of a bullet selection when you start looking for subs in the rooskie calibers.
Got a 9mm AR pistol that’s currently serving the purpose but it’s not super great with FMJs. Always heard the 300 was developed for Special Forces as a CQ weapon that had more stopping power than an MP5 9mm.
Talk me into it. Or talk me out of it!
Just get 7.62x39 cycling subsonic ammo, in stock below.

300BS is overrated in many ways, it does one thing well and that is quiet work. For stopping something (deer/hog hunting) it seems to be lacking when compared to most every round out there other than handgun and 556. A 22lr with a can works well for varmints including coyotes (you just may not find them) and you wont find anything quieter out there. If you want a new toy then get one but if its for solving a varmint problem I think there are better options for that.

·
Registered
13,416 Posts
Just get 7.62x39 cycling subsonic ammo (atomic).

300BS is overrated in many ways, it does one thing well and that is quiet work. For stopping something (deer/hog hunting) it seems to be lacking when compared to most every round out there other than handgun and 556. A 22lr with a can works well for varmints including coyotes (you just may not find them) and you wont find anything quieter out there. If you want a new toy then get one but if its for solving a varmint problem I think there are better options for that.
Agreed. 300bs did not live up to the well, bs for me. And it was quite hard to get rid of

·
Premium Member
15,193 Posts
Just get 7.62x39 cycling subsonic ammo, in stock below.

🙄
“I CaN’t ShOot 200yrdS WiTh it” crowd always poopoos the round.

·
Premium Member
15,193 Posts
Agreed. 300bs did not live up to the well, bs for me. And it was quite hard to get rid of
How’s that? What did you shoot and how far?

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
🙄
“I CaN’t ShOot 200yrdS WiTh it” crowd always poopoos the round.
Never said that, it is just surpassed by other rounds in every area but suppressed (unless you count 338 spectre). I have a cousin that I built a 300bo rifle for, that has killed deer at 250yds with one, but that doesnt change the fact that other rounds outperform it and are better all around cartridges than it is. The 7.62x39 is a prime example of a better all around cartridge with more power and same subsonic performance, and can be reloaded with 308 bullets, which just furthers the performance gains.

The fact that it was supposed to be the hog hunting round and now most hog hunters have abandoned it shows its lack of performance.

·
Premium Member
15,193 Posts
Never said that, it is just surpassed by other rounds in every area but suppressed (unless you count 338 spectre). I have a cousin that I built a 300bo rifle for, that has killed deer at 250yds with one, but that doesnt change the fact that other rounds outperform it and are better all around cartridges than it is. The 7.62x39 is a prime example of a better all around cartridge with more power and same subsonic performance, and can be reloaded with 308 bullets, which just furthers the performance gains.
And you can’t load 308 bullets in 300blk? That starting to sound like a struggle to argue an advantage. 😂

It’s a tiny case with little volume for both powder and bullets……..unless you get creative you can’t match a lot of stuff. Plus it’s a freakin rainbow maker at any distance over 100/150yrds.

I don’t get everyone comparing the round to the commie round when it has 4mm more case than the 300. Naturally the more room you have the more powder and projectile you can stuff in it.
Not having the experience for you on that round I can’t argue with you on it’s advantages……but I can look at case data.
Just what kind of heavy boolets can it throw? At what distance? And just how easy is a 230gn 7.62x39 cartridge to get your hands on?

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
And you can’t load 308 bullets in 300blk?
Who said that?

I just stated that you could load 308 bullets in a 7.62x39 so that the .310 bullet was no longer a disadvantage.

When talking varmints as the OP is, heavy bullets isnt the main goal, but I linked to a load of 7.62x39 with 220gr bullets so they exist.

If you want a subsonic round that shoots heavies and has a rainbow trajectory take a look at the 338 spectre.

·
Premium Member
15,193 Posts

The fact that it was supposed to be the hog hunting round and now most hog hunters have abandoned it shows its lack of performance.
Oh……and what case can you cut down to make the x39 cartridge?

·
Premium Member
15,193 Posts
Who said that?

I just stated that you could load 308 bullets in a 7.62x39 so that the .310 bullet was no longer a disadvantage.
Whole post! Read it. 😂

·
Premium Member
15,193 Posts
Ammo is too expensive and i do not reload , no room to setup press.
Plus i have a ton of x39. And subsonic and hunting ammo for it is a fraction of the bs.
What’s the price difference between the subsonic? I don’t buy it cause I make it.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Oh……and what case can you cut down to make the x39 cartridge?
Dont need to its one of the most found cases in the entire world. Most dont like cutting cases either. If you do just go with a 300Ham'r that actually has decent performance. Most folks care about hunting & terminal performance and not just lobbing the largest chunk of lead possible like you do.
Whole post! Read it. 😂
I wrote it. It says the 7.62x39 "can be reloaded with 308 bullets, which just furthers the performance gains." This is due to the slight increase in BC that many BS shooters have tried to argue makes it superior.

What’s the price difference between the subsonic? I don’t buy it cause I make it.
On ammoseek for 300bo super its $0.90 per round for brass cased and $1.40 or more per round for subsonic. Where the 7.62x39 with brass case is $0.45 for supers and $1.78 for subs.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts