Mississippi Gun Owners banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,193 Posts
Dont need to its one of the most found cases in the entire world. Most dont like cutting cases either. If you do just go with a 300Ham'r that actually has decent performance. Most folks care about hunting & terminal performance and not just lobbing the largest chunk of lead possible like you do.

I wrote it. It says the 7.62x39 "can be reloaded with 308 bullets, which just furthers the performance gains." This is due to the slight increase in BC that many BS shooters have tried to argue makes it superior.

On ammoseek for 300bo super its $0.90 per round for brass cased and $1.40 or more per round for subsonic. Where the 7.62x39 with brass case is $0.45 for supers and $1.78 for subs.
I’m not just “lobbing” lead. I’ve killed with it. I’m not all about just throwing as much lead as possible. I’ve used it for hunting and have had zero issues killing with it.
I just don’t like the fact that people just schit on the round because it’s this and not this,can’t kill with it at 2300yrds (exaggeration I know 😂). That’s bullschit. It was never intended for such service. Personally,within 100/150yrds you can knock something down with it………I’ve done plenty with it.
Something else that chaps my a$$,when people compare it to a 30-30. Pa-lease! I wish they’d get ahold of some of my 30-30 rounds (solidly within pressure range). No comparison supersonic,none. I’m certain those internet gun blogs are giving the 300 the nod on that just for range purposes.

Now back to the lobbing of heavy stuff. 300 is cool and all……..but I have other things to fill that category of need lol

Reactions: tWillis

·
Registered
Daisy Pal, Daisy Red Ryder
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Dang! Almost ignited a sheet storm!!
Think I might try it. Really won’t be out a huge amount of $$ if I just get a barrel and change it out on some of my existing stuff.
I got Grendel for the deers, 5.56 in various lengths for the in between, plus “commie caliburs” too.
Got a 6mm ARC barrel that’ll be here tomorrow. After I get done with that build, may as well do a blackout.

·
Registered
599 Posts
While 7.62x39 is similar when comparing supers and subs, finding sub ammo is often hard. From a reloading perspective, most of your x39 ammo is steel and while reloadable brass is available it's not as available as 5.56/.223 brass and certainly not as cheap. It's easier to find .308 bullets than it is .310/.311 diameter rounds and while the 7.62x39 can be loaded on .308 diameter rounds it's often not advised. Now... not having a dog in that race and never having tried that myself I can't say whether or not it's an accident waiting to happen or not but the above mentioned components are still not as easy to source.

The biggest advantage is if you are using the AR platform you don't have to do much work to get that similar level of performance. Plus don't have to use proprietary lowers and/or magazines potentially and that's a huge plus. I don't know if .300 Blackout was ever a "hog hunting" cartridge, but that's I guess who got sold on it? I've seen it in use in both sub and supers for hunting and if the shot is well placed, it doesn't seem to be an issue. In most AR's even with proper subs, it's still loud enough to spook game after the first shot. Some bolt actions are a bit quieter but even still operating the bolt would cause them to split. However I do know people who hunt coyotes and hogs with .300 Blackout and they swear by it.

Factory ammunition is expensive right now though. It was starting to come down a bit pre-COVID but the sudden strain on resources has caused it to jump exponentially. If the goal is to use sub sonics, while better calibers exist for the purpose in terms of raw potential the .300 Blackout's main selling point is the ease of availability of components to reloaders and it still has somewhat of an edge there. Calibers like 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel both have edges on super and sub sonic performance but sourcing components is a bit harder. The Russians have the 9x39 which is become available here in the US now which necks up 7.62x39 to a 9mm projectile and is supposed to be great for 100 yards or closer kind of work but there's so little data on it in the US to really say.

I think it's a good round and of the potential AR-15 caliber conversions it's one of the better ones if you're seeking something with a bit more energy than 5.56 for super performance and certainly easier for suppressing than 5.56 is. It is comparable to x39 in terms of performance but is a much smoother conversion for AR's. The round has plenty of merit still but is definitely harder to source factory ammo for right now. The good news is that the upper will be sitting on an AR, so if you don't like it or get tired of it, you can simply pop that upper off and put something else on there that you find more desirable. There's no shortage of cartridges for the AR platform like that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Another reason I went with 300BO ( I have an AR and a bolt gun) is the 7.62x39 was known for feeding issues in Ar's and the clips were bigger and shaped like a banana. I saw a youtube video where a guy was pulling bullets on the cheap 7.62 super sonic ammo and removing some powder and reseating the bullet to make subsonic rounds. Not sure that is safe to do but it was working for him supposedly.

·
Premium Member
15,193 Posts
Another reason I went with 300BO ( I have an AR and a bolt gun) is the 7.62x39 was known for feeding issues in Ar's and the clips were bigger and shaped like a banana. I saw a youtube video where a guy was pulling bullets on the cheap 7.62 super sonic ammo and removing some powder and reseating the bullet to make subsonic rounds. Not sure that is safe to do but it was working for him supposedly.
Clips! 🤣

·
Registered
Daisy Pal, Daisy Red Ryder
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
7.62x39 clipazine..:LOL:
I fought the rooskie calibur in an AR for a while, but came up with a recipe to fix them- knock on red Russian wood, I can mag dump any of my rooskie ARs without a hiccup. CProducts mags, a little polishing on the mag lips, polished feed ramps, an ‘enhanced’ firing pin, and a smidge overgassed has fixed all of mine. But steel cased ex-commie ammo with its mystery powder is nasty stuff.
UPS brought me 2 boxes of Hornady Black 105gr BTHP 6mm ARC today, but no barrel until tomorrow..soon as I get this little guy built, it’s 300 blk time.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
The 300 blk is not a long range gun. However, it will shoot slam thru a 4x4 post at 100 yards. I shoot hogs( a couple of 200 pounders), at 50 yards, behind the shoulders and they may make it 40 yards. I have a Odin works 20 “ barrel in it and will shoot 1” or less moa all day long with several bullets especially federal fusion 150 grain. Low noise, low recoil, I really like it , but not for me during deer season. I’ve been told if you get out there, you are going to have to hunt your deer 3/4 of the time.

·
Registered
17,180 Posts
Dont need to its one of the most found cases in the entire world. Most dont like cutting cases either. If you do just go with a 300Ham'r that actually has decent performance. Most folks care about hunting & terminal performance and not just lobbing the largest chunk of lead possible like you do.

I wrote it. It says the 7.62x39 "can be reloaded with 308 bullets, which just furthers the performance gains." This is due to the slight increase in BC that many BS shooters have tried to argue makes it superior.

On ammoseek for 300bo super its $0.90 per round for brass cased and $1.40 or more per round for subsonic. Where the 7.62x39 with brass case is $0.45 for supers and $1.78 for subs.
I just wish that Elmer and the guys would have made the .41mag with a semi-auto case or maybe a full on rifle cartridge with a boat tail bullet, and convinced Colt or somebody to build a AR platform for it. How awesome would a 210gr (or more).41mag be at 2700+ fps MV? :devilish::LOL: I get 1738(avg) now from my Henry.:D

·
Registered
778 Posts
I’ve shot them suppressed and unsuppressed super and subsonics it’s fun to shoot but wasn’t as magical for me as so many find it to be.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,775 Posts
While 7.62x39 is similar when comparing supers and subs, finding sub ammo is often hard. From a reloading perspective, most of your x39 ammo is steel and while reloadable brass is available it's not as available as 5.56/.223 brass and certainly not as cheap. It's easier to find .308 bullets than it is .310/.311 diameter rounds and while the 7.62x39 can be loaded on .308 diameter rounds it's often not advised.
That depends on who you buy the barrel from. Allot of them have went to sizing the barrels to .308. And no your not going to blow your barrel up if you have a .308 bore and shoot the commie stuff. Yes it will slightly increase pressure but not enough to blow you up.And shooting the .308 bullets in the .310/.311 barrels isn't going to hurt much as most of those aren't really .310/.311 but all its going to do is knock off a little accuracy.

If I remember right Faxon is one of the companies that size there bores .308.

Reactions: Redlick83

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,775 Posts
I got Grendel for the deers, 5.56 in various lengths for the in between, plus “commie caliburs” too.
Got a 6mm ARC barrel that’ll be here tomorrow. After I get done with that build, may as well do a blackout.
Well what you really need is my .277 wolverine barrel.

·
Registered
13,416 Posts
That depends on who you buy the barrel from. Allot of them have went to sizing the barrels to .308. And no your not going to blow your barrel up if you have a .308 bore and shoot the commie stuff. Yes it will slightly increase pressure but not enough to blow you up.And shooting the .308 bullets in the .310/.311 barrels isn't going to hurt much as most of those aren't really .310/.311 but all its going to do is knock off a little accuracy.

If I remember right Faxon is one of the companies that size there bores .308.
I had a faxon in x39, don’t remember bore size but it shot the cheap stuff well and still does according to chknman

21 - 40 of 62 Posts