Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It held gun shows 4 times a year in he old Heidelberg hotel on Capitol street in two of
their rooms, the Olympic and one slightly smaller whose name I cannot remember at all.
The shows would alternate between the two rooms every 3 months or so. It was primarily
one for displays only with a section set aside for trades. I was introduced to it by our
family's physician who was a member; if memory serves it began in the very early
1950s and until the Heidelberg went belly up ran the shows until around 1980 or so
when it briefly moved to the King Edward Hall adjacent to the hotel of the same name
for a few years before it finally ceased being held at all. I clearly recall the shows and
a host of colorful characters who kept it going, Charley Turnipseed from Hattiesburg
comes to mind since his wife assisted the secretary treasurer in running the gate,
admission was the really exorbitant fee of $.50 cents when I first got to one, it
ran on a Friday night until around 9-10 pm then the following day from 8am until
10pm and then on Sunday from 9am to around 5pm. I learned more about guns
than should have been legal at those shows and never missed one even when I
felt bad. I was likely a real nuisance with all the pointless questions I asked but
the members tolerated me and once I reached age 21 I could and did join in my
own right. Memories of a time long gone but never forgotten at least not by me.
Excuse the ramblings, i'm up too late and memories are funny this late at night.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Never heard of it. But pretty cool. I appreciate the history and thank you for sharing.

I remember my Dad taking me to Hunt & Whitaker on Farrish street....(late 60's to early 70's)

He was more into fishing than hunting, although we did both.

I didn't even know what a gun show was till I was out on my own.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
John, I think it was at one of their shows in the late 1960's or early 1970's sitting with you and Charley at his table that I bought one of the first two stainless Ruger Double-action .357's to come into MS. from a Memphis dealer. Made that one into a highly customized carry gun that I kept for several years...'till a friend in Natchez wanted it a lot more than I did and I traded it. It was later stolen from him.

Lots of good memories from those days!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
They let you in before 21?! The travesty!

But really I've never been to a show that wasn't mostly about show and sell. One that was more geared to show and tell would be really cool.

Reactions: Mesquite

·
MSGO Court Jester
40,251 Posts
I went to one or two of those shows. Can't remember if pre King Edward or after. But I certainly remember the name Charley Turnipseed.

Thank you Blade, I've been trying to remember the name Hunt & Whitaker for months. I bought my first centerfire revolver there in 1970, a 4", blued S&W model 19 for carry on the job. They gave Police discounts.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I went to one or two of those shows. Can't remember if pre King Edward or after. But I certainly remember the name Charley Turnipseed.

Thank you Blade, I've been trying to remember the name Hunt & Whitaker for months. I bought my first centerfire revolver there in 1970, a 4", blued S&W model 19 for carry on the job. They gave Police discounts.
You are most welcome, Sir.:)

I just recently picked up a LE trade-in 19. Great shooter :cool:

·
MSGO Court Jester
40,251 Posts
Reactions: Mesquite

·
MSGO Court Jester
40,251 Posts
Lol...not yet ...I think it needs to hang around... It was generously offered to me at a nice price by a fellow member here and I am somewhat taken with it currently. :cool:
I would be too.

·
Premium Member
14,667 Posts
Back around 1972 I remember going to a gunshow in downtown Jackson at a hotel. I was 16 and drove myself there. My step-father had given me his old Iver Johnson 12ga single-shot, but the firing pin was broken. I didn't know much about that shotgun, so I walked up to the first table inside (carrying the shotgun) and asked about a firing pin. To my amazement he had one. He even showed me what to do to change the firing pin. I didn't even walk around the show, just came straight home and fixed that shotgun.

I do remember the old Hunt & Whitaker in the old Jackson Mall (Woodrow Wilson & Bailey Ave.). It was the same entrance as the movie theater. I spend lots of time walking around that place, but didn't have enough money to buy anything. In the mid 70s they opened a Hunt & Whitaker in Jacksonian Plaza in NE Jackson. It was kind of set back from the main front. That is where I bought my S&W 29 (8-3/8" Nickel) for $319 and a S&W 59 Nickel for $269. The S&W 59 got stolen while I was at Ole Miss. I later replaced it with a S&W 59 Blue.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never heard of it, but see attached.
I'm amazed that you could locate the club's original
papers of incorporation or even the images of it, thanks.
I began going to their shows not long after the date of
incorporation I see and by the time I did, none of the
names on them were any longer officers to the best
of my recollection, by then the president was one
Jack Swinney from Hattiesburg, his vice president
was Max Harris, a Jackson architect, and the secretary
treasurer was Jack's wife Cecilia(who was voted to
be the permanent one by the membership since almost
no one else wanted the job. Jack was the Smith &
Wesson sales rep for much of the deep gulf south for
a LONG time and had a personal gun collection of SAA
Colts and S&W revolvers that would have made even
Roy Jinks, the S&W historian jealous.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They let you in before 21?! The travesty!

But really I've never been to a show that wasn't mostly about show and sell. One that was more geared to show and tell would be really cool.
They did indeed let me and others too young still to
buy a gun into the show, it was open to one and all
but to this day I do have quite a bayonet collection
from there as well as a ton of gun related bric a brac.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
In my post above, I mentioned my custom Ruger. It was a stainless Police Service Six and had a stainless S&W K-Frame rear sight, a backstrap that the flair was taken off and stippled. It remained 4" with, of course, a higher front sight blade and custom walnut grips, and the front of the trigger guard was cut off. If any of you run across it (though I figure it went straight to Chicago after being stolen) I'd love to hear about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts