Dug some Hornady FTX’s out of the dirt

Discussion in 'Reloading/Ammunition' started by Joe S., Apr 14, 2018.

1. Joe S.

Joe S. Distinguished Poster

Clinton
    I had some Hornady 444 ammo I need to shoot up the other day so I went out back on my lunch break and shot a few rounds. When we were getting the house and driveway built, I asked the trackhoe operator to put me a couple dump truck loads out back so I could use the dirt for filling in washes around the foundation and sewage treatment plant until i could get some grass growing. Well dang if it doesnt make a decent berm. Ha!

Anyway, I fired a few rounds into my “berm” and decided to dig a couple of the bullets out. Thought I’d share how they looked.

A3C23DC1-F6A0-410F-971A-EA8C3AF73907.jpeg 426620A8-327E-4B00-9AFE-8FC009C0FADA.jpeg 01D6A3C7-CD19-48AD-BF19-084F61937518.jpeg B0768087-9E33-4C60-BF70-0541F88A291E.jpeg

2. Xd357

Xd357 Moderator Staff Member

Bolton
    That ones a deer killer for sure.

Jarhead5811, Mesquite and 22lrfan like this.

3. HerrZnk

HerrZnk Distinguished Poster

Damn that would leave a mark...

Jarhead5811, Quickeye and Mesquite like this.
  4. Joe S.

Clinton
    Funny you say that. I’ve killed 2 deer with this bullet and got complete pass thru and very little expansion on both deer. I was not impressed at the time. After seeing this though, it makes me think i should try em again.

5. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I got a Handy Rifle in 444 Marlin a few months ago. I will remember that, next early Primitive season.The Hornady 44 mag. XTP in 180 and 200 grain bullets look similar recovered from a deer.

6. HerrZnk

HerrZnk Distinguished Poster

Whitetail deer are very thin-skinned animals, and unless you make bone contact or hit a dense organ (heart, liver, not lungs) I've seen through-and-through shots many times, no projectile remnant. Last deer I killed with a 6.5x55mm Swede the shot through both lungs actually created a set of holes that 'wheezed' when I moved the carcass around to gut the deer, what knocked him down and killed him was the blood that had filled his lungs from the bullet holes. I have seen what FMJ Swede surplus ammunition does, the FMJ is so thin that it sheds on impact, and the lead core expands somewhat like what you show with that .444, I've taken a lot of coyotes with it, if I find any more of it I might just use it for deer hunting.

Jarhead5811 and Mesquite like this.
  7. BasMstr

BasMstr Distinguished Poster

Dug this one out of a deer my buddy shot at (~) 60 yards with a 325 Grain LeverRevolution .45-70. Hit her in the shoulder, got the bullet out of her hip.

IMG_0954.JPG
    IMG_0955.JPG

This is a 130 grain (I think) Monarch .270 we dug out of a doe that Bobcat shot a few years ago for comparison. She popped out of a bush about 15 yards from the tree he was in. Shot her face on, the bullet deflected on the shoulder but didn't exit, traveled the length of her body and stopped at her hip.

IMG_0956.JPG
    IMG_0957.JPG

8. BasMstr

My brother in law has been hunting with an H&R in .44 for years. He uses the handgun ammo. Likes it so much, he's bought at least two more for his kids.

9. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Most of the time when I have recovered bullets from deer, it has been a long shot [200yards plus]
    and a angle shot from behind closest shoulder, with a path that goes to opposite shoulder.
    But there are always exceptions. Once I shot a big body buck with a neck swelled that looked like an extension of his shoulder. I hit him square in the middle of his neck. He dropped dead. When skinning him the bullet shattered the neck bone and was under the skin on the opposite side.
    He had absorbed that 270 handloaded to a 150 grain Speer Grand Slam bullet. Then I have seen 243 Federal ammo go clean through both shoulders of an average size buck. But you can be assured when a bullet mushrooms like that 444 Marlin, he is getting aquainted with the ground very quickly.
    I love the 44 magnum, both as a rifle and in a revolver. I shoot the Hornady 180, 200, and 225 grain. I have killed plenty deer with them and never need the heavy 300 grain bullets. It is the Hornady premium bullets that they sell 25 rounds to the box. I also shot a deer with some Remington 180 grain hollowpoint and that sounded like a high powered rifle in my H&R.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Jarhead5811, Joe S., Quickeye and 2 others like this.
  10. BasMstr

Yup, got a buddy that's thinking of shedding some calibers. The one I'm trying to convince him to part with is a nice lever action in 444.

CajunBP, Jarhead5811, Joe S. and 2 others like this.
  11. Beladran

Beladran Moderator Staff Member

Madison
    You guys have way better results than I have with those! I thought FTX stood for “Failure To Xpand”

12. Joe S.

Clinton
    See my comment from above... i had same opinion of them for a while.