Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They have some pretty cheap build kits.

https://www.durkintactical.com/product/16-5-56-223-black-friday-build-kit

At $199.00 for a build kit, it may be worth the price just in parts. But there is not many reviews on them. FB has a lot of reviews and the vast majority of them say they are really nice. But, then again, its FB. Thinking of jumping on a kit, thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
Out of stock anyhow. Probably posted with 3 kits in stock lol

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
They make a pretty solid modular rail, made in USA, way better than most cheaper parts. Rails are some of the most over priced items for AR's out there, but theirs run about $50-60 for a free float m-lok. I can’t speak to their barrels etc but if the rest of their stuff is like the handguards then it should be fine.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I got a 10.5" 5.56 kit from them at a gun show in Tunica. Upper was assembled already and has functioned without issue up until the boating incident, I estimate 1500-2000 rounds thru upper. Bolt was FA profile and marked MPI. I wish I had bought different cause I over payed a bit imo @ 399. But like I said the upper has had no issues at all and was used on a Franklin binary that once I had the proper buffer and spring ran great in binary to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a Durkin Tactical AR15 build kit. The hammer with J pin was out of specs and I had to grind it down with a dremmel to make it correct. Once completed the rifle would not cycle. I tried everything I could think of to make it work. I spent hours at the bench and made numerous trips to the range. Finally, I grabbed my tools and a Smith and Wesson M&P AR15 and went to the range with my Durkin build. I swapped the Durkin upper with the S&W lower; that worked just fine! I swapped the Durkin Lower with the S&W upper; that worked fine. However, the Durkin upper and lower together will not cycle! After each shot I must pull the charging handle to eject the spent cartridge and load the new round. @Durkin_Tactical refuses to assist in any way. Buyer beware!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting, as they have awesome response time. They are taking back a barrel from me right now out of a build kit I bought in May. Email [email protected] she was very quick and helpful
Glad your experience was better than mine. I emailed Lauren pictures and a video of the problem on Sunday. I hadn’t heard back by Tuesday. I emailed her again. She finally responded end of Tuesday and basically said too bad so sad. I would never purchase from them again. Aside from their parts not working together, customer service is slow, Curt, and entirely unhelpful for me.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
Take both lowers and compare them , do the same fit the uppers. Sounds like something is just misaligned slightly. Otherwise it should work with the other upper and lower. Shouldn’t be hard to narrow it down to what the problem is.
If I had to pick a place to start looking it would be where you dremeled.

Reactions: Henry Bowman

·
Registered
4 Posts
Take both lowers and compare them , do the same fit the uppers. Sounds like something is just misaligned slightly. Otherwise it should work with the other upper and lower. Shouldn’t be hard to narrow it down to what the problem is.
If I had to pick a place to start looking it would be where you dremeled.
Hey man, I really appreciate the advice. This has been a very frustrating situation. I dremmeled the hook on the hammer because it did not clear the disconnector; I just had to shave it down a bit. I would consider simply replacing the trigger altogether, as per your advice swapping the part I dremmeled, but the lower, as is, works just fine with my S&W M&P AR15. Basically, I have a fully functional Durkin tactical lower and a fully functional Durkin Tactical upper that do not work with each other but each piece does work perfectly when swapped with a commercially produced S&W M&P. Any other suggestions are very welcome. I’m about to bring the firearm to a gunsmith for diagnosis; I’m just out of ideas. I do want to emphasize that Lauren at Durkin Tactical was unresponsive, curt, and offered no possible explanations other than to send me their return policy with a too bad so sad signature line. I wouldn’t buy gun oil from this dishonest merchant.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
It’s just my troubleshooting mind at work. And if you just pull that trigger group and put the other in you could potentially find the problem....or not. But if you don’t then you more than likely want fix the problem. Just because it works with the other lower doesn’t mean it still isn’t just enough out of spec not to work with the original. Only way to find out is to swap the parts and try it. At the worst you are out 10 minutes swapping parts to see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Right on babe! I sort of had that idea myself in the back of my mind. Ok, your on; I’ll take your advice. But, I’m going to buy a new trigger group from a reputable manufacturer and replace the garbage that came with the kit. As I mentioned earlier that trigger group needed adjustment with my dremmel. I’ll report back in under two weeks. Thanks for the support brother.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Hey man, I really appreciate the advice. This has been a very frustrating situation. I dremmeled the hook on the hammer because it did not clear the disconnector; I just had to shave it down a bit. I would consider simply replacing the trigger altogether, as per your advice swapping the part I dremmeled, but the lower, as is, works just fine with my S&W M&P AR15. Basically, I have a fully functional Durkin tactical lower and a fully functional Durkin Tactical upper that do not work with each other but each piece does work perfectly when swapped with a commercially produced S&W M&P. Any other suggestions are very welcome. I’m about to bring the firearm to a gunsmith for diagnosis; I’m just out of ideas. I do want to emphasize that Lauren at Durkin Tactical was unresponsive, curt, and offered no possible explanations other than to send me their return policy with a too bad so sad signature line. I wouldn’t buy gun oil from this dishonest merchant.
I have to ask: did you contact them before or after you used the dremel, and did you tell Lauren you had worked on it yourself? Regardless of manufacturer, that pretty much voids ANY warranty. I'm really sorry you're having this problem, it would p*ss me off to no end as well. Just saying the attitude you're getting is probably due to the "no modifications" policy or whatever such clauses say in warranties. Might explain the curt attitude as well, I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped listening to anything you had to say after the mention of the word "dremel tool".
On the other hand if they don't know about the dremel, there's no excuse for not providing service.
Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds more like a gas block or BCG issue. Had a 300 blk, same thing would not cycle. Changed BCG and presto it was fixed. And just so happens it would function in a s&w ar.
Don't really know why but it did.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
I just bought a Durkin Tactical AR15 build kit. The hammer with J pin was out of specs and I had to grind it down with a dremmel to make it correct. Once completed the rifle would not cycle. I tried everything I could think of to make it work. I spent hours at the bench and made numerous trips to the range. Finally, I grabbed my tools and a Smith and Wesson M&P AR15 and went to the range with my Durkin build. I swapped the Durkin upper with the S&W lower; that worked just fine! I swapped the Durkin Lower with the S&W upper; that worked fine. However, the Durkin upper and lower together will not cycle! After each shot I must pull the charging handle to eject the spent cartridge and load the new round. @Durkin_Tactical refuses to assist in any way. Buyer beware!
Maybe next time call them before you bring out the dremel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts