Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting mags...I haven't seen any marked exactly like this. I've seen the Colt AR15 marked ones, and some that say M16A1. I guess these may have been early military issue??? I don't see many of the original Colt AR15 marked mags for sale.

Early Colt AR15 Rifle Magazine 20 Round

Reactions: Southshorerob

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
I like 20rd mags for several reasons, but not enough to pay $35/mag. I can only see paying that if you don't know any better, or just have to have a Colt mag to match your colt rifle, for OCD or to keep it as original as possible.

·
Premium Member
21,644 Posts
I think Universal Industries and Adventure Line also had contracts for 20rd mags during Vietnam.

They did - Still have a bunch of Adventure Line 20s .. I also had about 50 Colt 20s that I sold on eBay during the high-cap mag ban listing them as 10 rd mags. Of course anyone with any knowledge could look at pictures and know exactly what they were ... Think I got $30-$35 each for them at that time; however, eBay caught on and banned me!!

20s are about all I use as the 30s are too long for prone or bench shooting.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
I have some like that, and some marked .223 which, if I remember right, are the earliest versions made for the original USAF contract. Also have some with the 5.56 marking, and some other interesting variations mostly in the 30 rounders.

There are a number of gov't contract mags made for the M16/AR15. And, there are collectors of same. Here's a pretty good guide as to what is what. I'm not sure of the pricing, but the relative values (one style more valuable than another) are probably correct.
AR-15 / M16 Magazine FAQ

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,673 Posts
That might remaining stock of the Colt branded 20-rnd "USGI" aluminum straight body magazines as contract made for Colt by NHMTG of Hartford, CT. The mag body is finished in a dry film phosphate coating and has a steel base plate with a polymer follower.

I have bought these from 44Mag.com in the past. Get these while you can. Good price on them too along with free shipping.

I've read that NHMTG discontinued production of these USGI AR-15 magazines, with OK Industries of New Britain, CT currently making the same 20-rnd "straight" and 30-rnd "curved" magazines as NHMTG previously did.

Colt might now be sourcing their current supply of AR magazines from OK.

Alternately, 44Mag.com is selling the equivalent OK Industries branded "USGI" 20-rnd straight body AR-15 magazine for $12.50 with free shipping...

44MAG.com - .223/5.56mm AR15 Magazines - Okay 5.56 20rd AR15 Magazine USGI Dryfilm

Edit: I remember reading a few years ago that NHMTG and OK Industries were "connected"... same corporate ownership as I recall. May or may not have been true, but I'll grant it some credibility.

Reactions: Jeff700

·
Premium Member
13,628 Posts
I have some like that, and some marked .223 which, if I remember right, are the earliest versions made for the original USAF contract. Also have some with the 5.56 marking, and some other interesting variations mostly in the 30 rounders.

There are a number of gov't contract mags made for the M16/AR15. And, there are collectors of same. Here's a pretty good guide as to what is what. I'm not sure of the pricing, but the relative values (one style more valuable than another) are probably correct.
AR-15 / M16 Magazine FAQ
That link has a lot of interesting info. I had to go pull out my 20's and look at them. Three have the .223 marking but one has the markings in a different font than the other two.

IMG_0003.JPG

I had about a dozen of these marked 5.56. Unfortunately I threw away all the boxes except one several years ago.

IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG

I've got several of the Simmons and also have this one. No idea what it is.
IMG_0006.JPG

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,296 Posts
I have a bunch of the old Coltmags. I gave two to a friend that works at a pawn shop.
I didn,t look up the value, he was just getting into AR rifles. The next time I went in he was thanking me and told me what they were bringing on the internet. Oh well Its just money.
What are friends for.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
That link has a lot of interesting info. I had to go pull out my 20's and look at them. Three have the .223 marking but one has the markings in a different font than the other two.

View attachment 62575

I had about a dozen of these marked 5.56. Unfortunately I threw away all the boxes except one several years ago.

View attachment 62576 View attachment 62579

I've got several of the Simmons and also have this one. No idea what it is.
View attachment 62578
Cool! There are a bunch of different early Colt mags for the M-16. It's a fascinating subject for collectors, or anybody that has some of the old mags.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,673 Posts
A quick photo showing two "USGI" contract made magazines - right side is an Adventure Line Mfg. Co. Inc. 20-round mag, and in the center is a Colt AR-15 branded 20-rnd mag. Note that Colt was still using "Colt's Pt. F.A. Mfg. Co. Inc." name when this one was made and it is marked "Cal. 5.56 MM".

(22lrfan posted a photo of an identically marked Colt mag above.)

The third mag on the left side of the photo is a NHMTG made "commercial" 20-rnd aluminum straight body mag with a black polymer follower. No CAGE number stamped anywhere on it, but it does have this stamped into the left side of the magazine body - "NHMTG", "HARTFORD, CT", and "MFG." "3 - 14".

The "USGI" Adventure Line and the "USGI" Colt have the dull metal followers.

Other than the baseplate markings and the material used in the followers, construction of all three appear identical.

upload_2017-10-8_2-32-7.jpeg

Reactions: Hoot G
1 - 17 of 17 Posts