Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got one in the backyard about 20 years old. Wife loves it, but to me the thing is a pain in the neck. But before I cut it down I decided to research it. I did some serious pruning of it yesterday, and was surprised at how hard the wood is (about the same as walnut) and the very dark brown/reddish color of the heartwood. I cut some big diameter growth around the main trunk which I'll dry and cut into some possibly usable lumber for small projects.

Some pics of typical projects by other people:

But the other thing I discovered is it's uses as a medicine, so I won't be cutting the whole thing down. Here's the link:

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
I got a sapling in a promotion from Arbor Day Foundation with several others. Only the one Redbud and one Dogwood have survived. @GunnyGene could you describe where you have it planted - I'm reading partial to full sun most of the day, and I am curious as to whether sun 75-85% of the day is ok, and would it be better if that is mostly morning or afternoon sun. It's VERY HOT here in the afternoon sun. Ours is ready to go into a permanent spot. Oh yeah how big (tall) has yours grown? I don't want it too close to the house if it's going to be a hurricane hazard.

·
Registered
17,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I got a sapling in a promotion from Arbor Day Foundation with several others. Only the one Redbud and one Dogwood have survived. @GunnyGene could you describe where you have it planted - I'm reading partial to full sun most of the day, and I am curious as to whether sun 75-85% of the day is ok, and would it be better if that is mostly morning or afternoon sun. It's VERY HOT here in the afternoon sun. Ours is ready to go into a permanent spot. Oh yeah how big (tall) has yours grown? I don't want it too close to the house if it's going to be a hurricane hazard.
They don't get all that tall. Ours is about 25', but they spread long branches and will make it difficult to mow under if you don't keep after it. Here's a couple pics (post pruning, more to do). There's a Magnolia on the other side about the same size. They do produce about a hundred tons of pea pods every year also, which are eatable when young and still green. Ours gets full sun from sunrise to sunset.

Oh, and it survived a tornado without any serious damage a couple years ago that took out a number of other much larger trees near our house, so I wouldn't worry about a hurricane. ;)

Here's more from Univ. of Fl.

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
They don't get all that tall. Ours is about 25', but they spread long branches and will make it difficult to mow under if you don't keep after it. Here's a couple pics (post pruning, more to do). There's a Magnolia on the other side about the same size. They do produce about a hundred tons of pea pods every year also. Can't eat them tho. Ours gets full sun from sunrise to sunset.

Oh, and it survived a tornado without any serious damage a couple years ago that took out a number of other much larger trees near our house, so I wouldn't worry about a hurricane. ;)

Thanks Gunny!

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
A neighbor planted 2 red buds in their front yard about 6 foot apart. They were kept trimmed to a single trunk. Over the years a board was tied across both and deer have been cleaned there. The wife sold the house 2 years ago and the first thing to go were the trees. Danny, another neighbor cut all he wanted and took it home to cure. He makes ink pens and other wood art to sell at trade shows.

·
Registered
17,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correction to my post up thread about the peapods not being eatable. They are when young and green, and can be eaten raw or in stir fry just like snow peas. Here's a stir fry recipe with wild turkey.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts