Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Gun-Fu Wannabe; Just Living Life
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in Training but got no response.

Who’s got the best class I Hattiesburg? Ready to get my ccw. I’m sure it’s been hashed over before and will get varying opinions.

Reactions: rigrat

·
Super Moderator
8,050 Posts
Don't know anyone in H'burg. Sorry. McComb and Gulfport, but not the burg.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,349 Posts
Can't speak for Hattiesburg. This is who I used 10 years ago
IMG_3986.jpg

He's one bad dude. Good easy class. And not too big as far as class size. He travels now training swat teams and what not so not sure if still teaches.

This is a husband and wife. Good folks. I've shot with both in ellisville many a times. Both can shoot good but he's awesome, super fast, used to be a sponsored shooter. Has a small range behind his house. Class size will be small.
IMG_3985.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,446 Posts
ELITE ( west of Wiggins had an Excellent program, but don't know if their still running). They had a Website, might search them

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,349 Posts
They do, led a (somebody) Green. I think it said.
They should be good to take from. I've shot with some of them in ellisville when they were first getting started and they seemed like pretty good guys. Have yet to visit their range though, it's on my to do list.

·
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They should be good to take from. I've shot with some of them in ellisville when they were first getting started and they seemed like pretty good guys. Have yet to visit their range though, it's on my to do list.
Ouch. Just looked at their pricing on the sign up page. $140! Is that average around here?

And that’s without using a rental gun.

·
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ouch. Just looked at their pricing on the sign up page. $140! Is that average around here?

And that’s without using a rental gun.
Apparently it’s cheaper. Just looked at elites courses. $250 and 250 rounds of ammo required. Good lord!

And so far, they all say that the course is for those that already have the basic ccw permit to add the sticker to it. Do I have to get the basic permit first, or can I just take this course and get the eccw from the get go?

Reactions: rigrat

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,349 Posts
Wow that's crazy high. Guess have higher overhead. I'd check with Thomas knight as he's not associated with a range. Think I paid like $75, maybe.
$250 is atrocious and must include more advance training.
You can go ahead and get the IC certificate first then take it and regular CW paperwork to the DMV and get your license and it will include the IC certification on the front.

·
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mississippi Concealed Carry Permit Endorsement Training and More

andgun Safety and Basic Shooting Fundamentals

This introductory class is designed for the individual who has limited knowledge and background in firearms. This class is for the person who has purchased a handgun (or is considering to purchase a handgun*), has some basic handling skills and may want to use it for personal protection. The student may have been exposed to some shooting, but has had no formal training in the basic fundamentals. This class will teach those basic skills so that the student can safely handle the firearm, enable the student to hit where they are aiming, and to clear a malfunctioning weapon. At least 3 "snap caps" are required for dry fire and malfunction drills.

*We will provide loaner handguns at an additional cost for those who are considering to purchase a handgun and may need guidance in that decision by handling different models and calibers.

Length: One day, 8 hours

Ammunition Needed: 250 Rounds

Cost: $250

Carry Concealed 1

Mississippi Concealed Carry Permit Endorsement

Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit Class

This concealed carry endorsement class is for those that have the Firearms Permit for Mississippi and wish to add the Endorsement sticker to that permit. The class is also open to Louisiana residents who wish to attain their concealed carry permit and covers all the requirements of both states. The endorsement allows the firearm's holder to legally carry their firearm in certain other places that are not lawful with the regular firearms permit. It also covers all the classroom and range material that is required by Louisiana State Police as well as all the hands-on knowledge that our experienced instructors have earned from their years in law enforcement and as firearms instructors. This class also qualifies a student in certain other states that require the NRA Basic Pistol Course, or equivalent, to attain their original concealed handgun permit.

The course will cover the fundamentals in handling and shooting the firearm, nomenclature, ammunition, storage and carry issues, and gun laws specific to Mississippi and/or Louisiana (or other states that the student is seeking to apply for a concealed handgun permit). We understand that those seeking a concealed handgun permit take their responsibility of personal protection seriously and our full-day course structure is intended to teach you everything you need to know. We know that your time and money are limited, so we try to give you the best training day for your investment. The range drills are designed for the person who is carrying the firearm for personal defense. All drills will be conducted with a strong side holster which is able to be concealed with an over-shirt. The student must pass a written and practical exam to be eligible for the certificate of completion.

Once successfully completed, the student will be able to present this certificate to the Department of Public Safety of their respective state for a Concealed Handgun Permit or for their Mississippi Endorsement.

Upon signing up with the class, please indicate the state for which you are seeking the carry permit.

Length: One day, 9 hours

Ammunition Needed: 250 rounds

Cost: $200

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
We have several on the Coast. Don Evans is probably the best. He only does 2 at a time.
Then Rob Wilcox has classes probably once a month at the club. Great guy. Can't tell you pricing on either. Go to our website at www.gcrpc.com for them and more. Larry Shook is another good one at our club.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
It's not training but does qualify you for the IC endorsement: Southwest Gun Club of McComb has a class every other month, if numbers make it; next one is this Saturday, November 10th, only $65. We teach NRA Basic Pistol classes and follow the NRA curriculum for the class. You will receive the certificate qualifying you for the IC endorsement. Contact Douglas Bowser at 601-three for won ate 7 nine 7.
I write "if numbers make it" because as we get close to holiday travel season, and during the summer (school family vacation time) we have had to cancel classes due to lack of interest. But I feel for $65 we are the best value around. No one makes any profit off of our classes, it goes to pay the bills. Believe me, I'm the instructor :oops:.

Reactions: HotRod61

·
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sheesh, McComb is 1.5 from here.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Sheesh, McComb is 1.5 from here.
Actually the range is 5 miles east of McComb; and a straight shot on Highway 98 from H'burg. We drive to Hattiesburg almost every other weekend to shop, an hour from our house in Walthall County. Not a bad drive, once you escape what has become the Hattiesburg sprawl into Lamar county, you have 2 traffic lights in Columbia, one in Tylertown. Only about 30 miles from Columbia. The range is on "Edna Drive" on 98. Just thought I'd offer that opportunity for ya.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Are there any classes in the Madison/Hinds/Rankin County areas?
Yes, Turcotte Range on HWY 43 at the Reservoir has them monthly, the cost is $107. Steve (Reno) is the instructor and he keeps things interesting and moving along. There's a 50 round qualifying range and shots are from both 3 and 7 yards. The next class is DEC 5th.
Dave

·
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually the range is 5 miles east of McComb; and a straight shot on Highway 98 from H'burg. We drive to Hattiesburg almost every other weekend to shop, an hour from our house in Walthall County. Not a bad drive, once you escape what has become the Hattiesburg sprawl into Lamar county, you have 2 traffic lights in Columbia, one in Tylertown. Only about 30 miles from Columbia. The range is on "Edna Drive" on 98. Just thought I'd offer that opportunity for ya.
I’ll look into it. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts