Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
I've seen whole house "surge protection" offered by local HVAC service companies, including mine. It was marketed to me as more of a lightning strike protection.

I'm not sure that "surge protection" would work against EMP for unshielded electronic devices though -- even unconnected ones.

A small box off the breaker box for $350? I wouldn't want to trust that to protect my computers, phones, HAM radio, HDTVs etc. -- but I could be wrong.

I have a couple of small Faraday bags for my laptop, cell phones etc. -- assuming that I'd have some warning to be able to use them.

Disclaimer: I don't have a B.Sc. EE or stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

·
Premium Member
14,536 Posts
I bought an 18wheeler load of tinfoil......GTG lol

I’m thinking it’ll be a valuable addition to my place as I’ve had 2 lightning strikes in the last 3yrs. Both of which fried one DVD player,two TVs and a modem both times. Every through those Walmart surge protectors I bought after the first time.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,673 Posts
As a "rule of thumb", I've often heard that a lightning strike on one's home is just about impossible to protect/shield consumer electronics, appliances, etc. from... if such are plugged in & connected to the home's electrical wiring.

I've also read that many of those "whole house" surge protectors as installed at the light meter base are only "good" for one (1) major event... then must be replaced... o_O

My rural electric cooperative used to provide "whole house surge protectors" as an additional service... of course, with an extra monthly charge. That is "past tense" now... as such is no longer available.

YMMV... :cool:

·
Registered
10,687 Posts
I had the whole house surge protection when they upgraded my electrical service in my previous house (to a 200AMP breaker to allow for AC -- that house wasn't in Mississippi). Never found out if it actually worked. For EMPs, AFAIK a Faraday cage around the electronics to be protected is the only way to be sure.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,673 Posts
Anyone running a credible and quality UPS box can track the history of their incoming line voltage fluctuations - "spikes" and "sags" - if their UPS hardware has the often included monitoring/tracking software to load onto your desktop/laptop... for which in turn said desktop/laptop must be sourcing electrical power from the UPS box.

·
Be nice, or at least, be honest...and DOL
955 Posts
This thing will not protect anything from an EMP, other than possibly the damage the might occur through your home's electrical circuit, which would be generally meaningless under the circumstances. The EMP would kill your stuff even if were sitting on a desk unconnected to power. It also might protect your sensitive stuff from a line surge, but no better than any number of similar devices you can buy from numerous sources at a cheaper price. If you are really worried about EMP, research Faraday cages. Basically, you can use an old-school metal trash can and lid for (some) EMP protection. That said, if you really are worried about EMPs, in the event that your location is subject to a nuclear weapons related EMP that would zap your stuff, you'll have much, much, much, much bigger problems that you need to deal with before your AV system or microwave not working, assuming you and your stuff survive the altitude detonation.

·
Be nice, or at least, be honest...and DOL
955 Posts
BREAKING NEWS! Several major Hollywood stars killed! Here's the video _PROOF_:

Don't you tell me it's not real, it's right there on film...plus it's on the Internet, so you KNOW it's completely real, true, and accurate! Trust me, I'm pre...oh, nevermind...

·
Registered
646 Posts
I bought an 18wheeler load of tinfoil......GTG lol

I’m thinking it’ll be a valuable addition to my place as I’ve had 2 lightning strikes in the last 3yrs. Both of which fried one DVD player,two TVs and a modem both times. Every through those Walmart surge protectors I bought after the first time.
Those walmart surge protectors aren't really surge protectors, they might have a fuse but most are just outlet multipliers. I have all the computers/routers/modems/NAS on APC brand UPSs. If the power outage is local, the modem/router one will keep the wifi up for a few hours. Running 2 600 or 650 sized ones for wife's work laptop and one for the router and NAS and a 1500 for my computer and the security cameras. Think I get a hour, hour and a half on the cameras before they'll lose power if I turn the PC off fast enough.

·
Registered
10,687 Posts
Anyone running a credible and quality UPS box can track the history of their incoming line voltage fluctuations - "spikes" and "sags" - if their UPS hardware has the often included monitoring/tracking software to load onto your desktop/laptop... for which in turn said desktop/laptop must be sourcing electrical power from the UPS box.
I have an APC 1200 voltage regulator in addition to UPSes. All the power to my bedroom electronics (TV, Roku, router) is filtered through the voltage regulator.

·
Deplorable Curmudgeon
16,982 Posts
For EMP protection
all you need is a metal trash can with lid
place objects in trash can, close lid, they are protected

farraday.jpg

·
Deplorable Curmudgeon
16,982 Posts
Only way to protect against an emp is a faraday cage

Surge protection is a different animal.
install lightening rods at the high points of the house and run a copper cable to a ground rod. Bond the house ground to the lightening rod ground

1 - 17 of 17 Posts