Enhanced License

Discussion in 'Mississippi Concealed Carry' started by Phaetos, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Phaetos

Phaetos Distinguished Poster

Ms is a “shall issue” state, right? Is there a residency requirement to get one, other than being a resident? Like a one year residency or something before applying? If so, I’ve been here since November 2016, but just got my MS drivers license in December 2017. Do they go by drivers license or by dates of utility bills and such?

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  2. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

Good question.

3. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

Richland
    I think it’s a one year residency requirement, unless you had a permit from another state. It’s been so long since I read through the law I can’t recall though. There was a time I knew it like the back of my hand.

4. gunsinger

gunsinger Distinguished Poster

Petal, MS
    Jarhead5811 likes this.
  5. Dave

Dave Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

You have lived here over 1 year and have had your drivers license over one year as well. I don't see any reason you couldn't take the class and get your permit with IC sticker.

6. senilking

senilking Distinguished Poster

Pontotoc
    Yeah, same here. Got most everything I wanted and just quit looking at it. I do good to remember where a regular permit can't carry since it doesn't affect enhanced. Keep telling myself I need to see if anything's changed since Church Carry and Concealed carry without a permit.

Jarhead5811 and jakeg823 like this.
  7. 45flattop

45flattop Distinguished Poster

Jackson
    He stated that he got his MS D/L in December of 2017
    and that is at most 3 months on that requirement as I read
    it despite however long he has resided here so I'm thinking
    that he is for now ineligible for a permit; I'm not picking on
    him just trying to see things as they are unless I've missed
    something which is always possible.

Jarhead5811 and Dave like this.
  8. Dave

Dave Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I miss read it. Thinking from 2016 until now is way over a year but transposed it to the driver's license date as well. Unless he had a valid permit from another state the wait time will start from the date of the driver's license. This is as far as I know. I'm far from being a lawyer.

Jarhead5811 and jakeg823 like this.
  9. Phaetos

You are correct. Don’t take any offense. That’s why I’m asking.

94LEVERFAN and Jarhead5811 like this.
  10. Jarhead5811

I think I’d still call the Permit Licensing unit with your question. I would also get the training before I got the permit, to save a second trip.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    maxhush and jakeg823 like this.
  11. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

There is an exception for active, and/or retired LEO/Military, if you have that background. Also noted at the MSFPU site.

maxhush, 94LEVERFAN and Jarhead5811 like this.
  12. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

Been here since 2016? I would think if you had paycheck stubs, utility bills, ect. that should suffice. Since when is a DL required for anything other than driving?

fordpkup, jakeg823 and Jarhead5811 like this.
  13. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

Jarhead, the response you get will depend on who answers the phone.

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  14. Jarhead5811

True, it might be better to do everything to submit your paperwork and attempt to get the permit. ...or just wait.

94LEVERFAN likes this.
  15. Phaetos

I will be signing up for the class soon. I’ll try to call And clarify with them as well.

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  16. Stephen Fix

Stephen Fix Full Poster

17. Stephen Fix

Stephen Fix Full Poster

18. Stephen Fix

Stephen Fix Full Poster

From the application itself: "The applicant must present two forms of identification when returning the application. One must be a photo identification, either Mississippi Driver’s License or Mississippi Identification Card.The second may be:"

Question number two on the application is: "2. Have you been a resident of Mississippi for one (1) year immediately preceding the date of this application?"

Taking these two together it appears you must have a MS driver's license for one year

19. senilking

senilking Distinguished Poster

Pontotoc
    If that's all it says, I'd argue the opposite. Though you might need some way of proving you were here.

Jarhead5811 and Redlick83 like this.
  20. Rxeagle

Rxeagle Full Poster

DD214 will get enhanced but not sure of proof of residency. Mortgage and other loans requires utility bills so that may be enough to prove residency.