Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to an estate auction yesterday. Husband had passed and wife was selling everything and moving into assisted living. Place was packed with over 300 bidders. He was obviously a reloader. Had thousands of rounds of factory and reloaded ammo plus two Dillon 550’s and all the other loading equipment. I was looking at the ammo for components only but it all went to high for that. .223, .30-30, .308, .30-06 and .300 Win Mag went for $1.50-2.00/rd. 357 and .44 Mag went for .75-1.00/rd. The dillons went for decent prices but more than I wanted to spend by the time you added the 10% bidders fee + 7% tax. I bid on several guns but didn’t win any. I didn’t come away empty handed though. Ended up with this assortment.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I knew about that auction... but after thinking about the present situation I didn't want to get in the middle of a blood bath of bidders Lol. But you did do good 22lrfan. As always.....

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Nice haul sir

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Glad you did well. Personally I've never seen what I’d consider a bargain on guns or gun stuff at an auction. In my experience there are usually several folks bidding that have very little gun knowledge, and more money than sense, that skew the bidding. Add to that the so-called "buyer’s premium" and sales tax - no thanks.

·
Blessed are the peacemakers
1,268 Posts
I'm in the Gulfport/Biloxi area trying to find powder and primers locally
For powder you can contact Randy at Southern Reloading supplies, he closed for the holidays but will re-open December 1st, I can PM you his contact info or you can look him up on Facebook or google. Tell him you heard about him through the forum, he’s a good guy and happens to live about 5 minutes from me so it’s convenient for me to use him as my supplier, although occasionally I’ll pick up powder at sportsman’s warehouse.

He doesn’t have any primers and he has started a list of people to contact once he gets primers, he doesn’t deal with orders of primers less than 1,000. Personally I think your best bet is to get on the list ASAP and keep your eyes open for primers that pop up in the classifieds or at local stores, I got lucky at sportsman’s last month and got 300 each of small pistol, large pistol, and large rifle, the only way I got any small rifle was from a member of a truck forum who happened to stumble across some and was willing to send 500 my way because I needed them for load development on my 6.8 for deer season.

·
Para Bellum
976 Posts
For powder you can contact Randy at Southern Reloading supplies, he closed for the holidays but will re-open December 1st, I can PM you his contact info or you can look him up on Facebook or google. Tell him you heard about him through the forum, he’s a good guy and happens to live about 5 minutes from me so it’s convenient for me to use him as my supplier, although occasionally I’ll pick up powder at sportsman’s warehouse.

He doesn’t have any primers and he has started a list of people to contact once he gets primers, he doesn’t deal with orders of primers less than 1,000. Personally I think your best bet is to get on the list ASAP and keep your eyes open for primers that pop up in the classifieds or at local stores, I got lucky at sportsman’s last month and got 300 each of small pistol, large pistol, and large rifle, the only way I got any small rifle was from a member of a truck forum who happened to stumble across some and was willing to send 500 my way because I needed them for load development on my 6.8 for deer season.
Randy is a true jewel of this forum and the community. We are lucky to have him :)

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
I am older. This is something else for me to consider in my Last Will and Testament planning so my wife doesn't have to figure it out on her own.

And, no, I don't need any write-in "volunteers" for my will either, TY.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I was going to go that auction...wife had other plans

Reactions: Mesquite

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went down there the day before and it was an amazing shop with nice ammo and reload room. Had a commitment for Saturday so did not make it. How long did it go on?

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got there at 8:15 and was bidder #139. Auction started at 9:15 and people were still in line registering. I left at 5:00 and it was still going.

Reactions: Mesquite

·
Registered
691 Posts
I can 100% absolutely say my toys/goodies won't be auctioned off like this..... there is already a plan in my will in case of the unexpected. Otherwise they will be sold to who appreciates them as much as I do

1 - 16 of 16 Posts