Experiment with reloading Tula steel-cased .45 acp

Discussion in 'Reloading/Ammunition' started by Doc1, Apr 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Doc1

Doc1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I recently found freshly-fired Tula steel .45 acp cases at our local club range. Unlike earlier iterations of steel-cased ammo, these were boxer primed, using standard size large pistol primers. I picked up a handful of them and brought them home to attempt reloading.

These cases were easy to resize, decap and prime. Other than being a little stiffer to resize, there was nothing about them that required doing anything different than reloading brass cases and they cycled and fired perfectly.

Since they were steel, I worried about them scratching my dies so I carefully cleaned them by hand and lubricated them with Imperial Die Wax for resizing.

Being steel and having already experienced one firing, I suspect that these cases will be much more inclined - and quicker - to rust than virgin, coated steel cases, but for short-term storage and quick use or in situations where you can't easily recover your cases and don't want to sacrifice good brass, these seem to be a good option.

Best regards
    Doc

oO_Rogue_Oo and 22lrfan like this.
  2. SubGunFan

SubGunFan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Jackson
    You were wise to clean and lube the steel cases. If you try to load them again, I bet you see a lot of split mouths when you flare the cases. Steel is not meant to be worked like brass can. WATCH OUT for the Winchester steel cases with a shelf inside the case (near base). I advise NOT to reload those cases.

BasMstr likes this.

3. Doc1

Doc1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

SubGun, I think you're correct that I shouldn't expect much life out of these cases for repeated loadings. I see them as throw-aways. Every once in awhile the SMPSA club in Poplarville will set up a stage in the infamous "Gully." My bad back makes it hard to climb in and out of the gully, so I leave my brass there for some more enterprising soul to find later. These steel cases would be perfect for something like that: Leave 'em and forget 'em! I haven't seen the Winchester steel cases yet. Thanks for the tip.

Best regards
    Doc

22lrfan likes this.
  4. SubGunFan

SubGunFan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Jackson
    The only steel Winchester I have seen so far has been 9mm cases.