Experimenting with a SW22 Victory

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by Jp1950, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Jp1950

Jp1950 Active Member

I enjoyed getting feedback from various members here a couple of weeks ago about your preference between a SW22 Victory and Browning Buckmark (with high recommendations for the Ruger added, as well!) I went with the Victory because I found a deal I couldn't pass up, but I was disappointed the first time I went to the range. I had lots of midfeeds, and I couldn't figure out why. I cleaned and lubed it well before I took it out. I used the same ammo I had used in an Outlaw Steel Match the weekend before and had no problems with. I started reading about the issue and found some people either had ZERO problems with theirs or they had the problems I was having. I found a really helpful Victory group on Facebook and a couple of competitive shooters suggested I make a VERY slight adjustment to the angle of the ejector guide, and polish the feed ramp. I did both, and took my same ammo (plus two additional brands) back to the range yesterday and had no feed issues.

On the Victory, my thumb has a tendency to engage the safety too easily, unfortunately. It's a combination of placement and ease of being able to switch it. It isn't an issue for every Victory owner, but it has definitely been reported for some. I will experiment with thumb placement to overcome that. I am curious if any of the alternate grips you can purchase might help with it too.

I started shooting last summer, and I am excited to give steel challenges a try at Magnolia. I challenged myself yesterday at both 15 and 30 yards to bring up a sight picture and fire more rapidly than I would normally. My target in the photo is about 4" in diameter. I was pretty pleased with the grouping. I don't have any special add-ons to the Victory, it's as it comes out of the box. I'll keep practicing [​IMG]:)

Attached Files:

oldguns, maxhush, 22lrfan and 4 others like this.
  2. Dave

Dave Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

The safety on the Buckmark is one of the things I do like about it. Sort of close to what is found on a 1911. No doubt you are ready for Steel Challenge. Did you find any additional magazines?

phillipd, Jp1950 and granjack like this.

3. Jp1950

Jp1950 Active Member

Not yet but I’ll be ordering some soon since I got the problem worked out with the Victory it seems

phillipd likes this.
  4. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Nice group. Congrats on figuring out your pistol and making the needed changes

Jp1950 likes this.
  5. shoeshooter

shoeshooter Distinguished Poster

Florence
    Glad you got it running, but it's sad when something new needs "fixing".

maxhush, 22lrfan and Jp1950 like this.
  6. Jp1950

Jp1950 Active Member

7. shoeshooter

Florence
    I will add that it's especially sad since S&W has been building good .22 semis for 50+ years. (Excepting that somewhat recent clunker, Model 22A, I think.). Perhaps the current profit squeeze has led to poor quality control. Hope not. Check out Remington to see how well that approach works out.

22lrfan likes this.
  8. Jp1950

Jp1950 Active Member

Could you tell me what you mean by checking out Remington?

9. shoeshooter

Florence
    It has been pretty widely discussed that their quality has declined in recent years. can't draw a direct connection between that and their recent Bancruptcy, but it sure didn't help.