Mississippi Gun Owners banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm planning to field dress & quarter deer in the woods this season. I'd like to pack them out on foot. I've skinned and butchered a lot of deer but I've never started in the woods or worked on the ground. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. What has worked well for you?
Just did an elk and mule deer last week in MT. We are headed back out today for a long weekend, 2 more tags to fill. I live in good ole MS but my oldest son lives here in MT. The video suggested is a great resource, we do the gutless method. Good luck and good hunting.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Just did an elk and mule deer last week in MT. We are headed back out today for a long weekend, 2 more tags to fill. I live in good ole MS but my oldest son lives here in MT. The video suggested is a great resource, we do the gutless method. Good luck and good hunting.
I’ve been trying to get something figured out on this on and off for a while. I’m wanting to do something semi-guided or maybe even DIY with a rifle in or around the rut. Would love to get your feedback.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’ve been trying to get something figured out on this on and off for a while. I’m wanting to do something semi-guided or maybe even DIY with a rifle in or around the rut. Would love to get your feedback.
Just came out of the mountains today and the rut is about to kick in where we were hunting, it's an incredible experience having a Bull bugle at 50yds challenging your call.
We started with DIY do to our limited budget, It's not simple or easy. This is not country to hunt alone, our last week elk died on a very steep hill pinned in again some trees. He could not be moved or rolled over until quartered. Then 5 pack loads of meat up and down for 2 miles each way. If you have the budget hire a guide they will know the best places and you'll have a better chance of success. Here in MT the rut normally takes place during archery season. You might check into some other states that might offer rifle season during the rut. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Just came out of the mountains today and the rut is about to kick in where we were hunting, it's an incredible experience having a Bull bugle at 50yds challenging your call.
We started with DIY do to our limited budget, It's not simple or easy. This is not country to hunt alone, our last week elk died on a very steep hill pinned in again some trees. He could not be moved or rolled over until quartered. Then 5 pack loads of meat up and down for 2 miles each way. If you have the budget hire a guide they will know the best places and you'll have a better chance of success. Here in MT the rut normally takes place during archery season. You might check into some other states that might offer rifle season during the rut. Good luck!
I’m a big fan of earning my stripes, but I also feel a real need to be successful if I’m going to commit the time and resources in order to get there. For me that means I need a rifle. I’m not saying I couldn’t get the job done with a bow but it’s not something I’m willing to try my first western hunt. This does seems to be steering me into the guided/semi-guided camp because a also don’t want to chance getting snowed in, miles into the backcountry and most “early rifle” seasons on public ground seem run the risk of snow. My pops I think is done with tent camping in general so that pushes us into either a lodge/cabin scenario or rv camping. I definitely want to get this figured out so always looking for suggestions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’m a big fan of earning my stripes, but I also feel a real need to be successful if I’m going to commit the time and resources in order to get there. For me that means I need a rifle. I’m not saying I couldn’t get the job done with a bow but it’s not something I’m willing to try my first western hunt. This does seems to be steering me into the guided/semi-guided camp because a also don’t want to chance getting snowed in, miles into the backcountry and most “early rifle” seasons on public ground seem run the risk of snow. My pops I think is done with tent camping in general so that pushes us into either a lodge/cabin scenario or rv camping. I definitely want to get this figured out so always looking for suggestions.
I totally understand your thinking. I'm a two season hunter because Retirement allows for the time. Gun season here the past two seasons saw snow by opening day and pushed the elk down and making it impossible to access high country. We've used a tent until this year we now have a roof top popup that makes us a little more mobile. The tailgate becomes our kitchen and the truck bed makes room for equipment and another sleeping space. Purchased it last winter just in time for ski season, one weekend out it was 9 degrees and doable. Please be warned Once you make it out west you will be addicted, the years I haven't drawn a tag I still come out and help with the hunt. Cooking, packing game, calling, etc. Watching my son take one is as good as taking it myself.
My thinking is any reason to purchase a new rifle is always a great idea.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I totally understand your thinking. I'm a two season hunter because Retirement allows for the time. Gun season here the past two seasons saw snow by opening day and pushed the elk down and making it impossible to access high country. We've used a tent until this year we now have a roof top popup that makes us a little more mobile. The tailgate becomes our kitchen and the truck bed makes room for equipment and another sleeping space. Purchased it last winter just in time for ski season, one weekend out it was 9 degrees and doable. Please be warned Once you make it out west you will be addicted, the years I haven't drawn a tag I still come out and help with the hunt. Cooking, packing game, calling, etc. Watching my son take one is as good as taking it myself.
My thinking is any reason to purchase a new rifle is always a great idea.
I absolutely loved Colorado when we were there in Feb-Mar. If property was remotely affordable we would be moving. I’m hooked but I’ve been champing at the bit to do an elk or muley hunt for about 6 years. Our trip just made it worse.

I think what we may need to do is just go do the guided thing just me and the ole man, but my bride is my other super close hunting partner and I may need to do some real finagling to leave her out. 😂

·
Registered
53 Posts
I absolutely loved Colorado when we were there in Feb-Mar. If property was remotely affordable we would be moving. I’m hooked but I’ve been champing at the bit to do an elk or muley hunt for about 6 years. Our trip just made it worse.

I think what we may need to do is just go do the guided thing just me and the ole man, but my bride is my other super close hunting partner and I may need to do some real finagling to leave her out. 😂
Lol, a little advice from a guy who has been married for over 50 years, I don't have a clue how to negotiate that one.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts